Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping the Water Cold Enough?

PhxJosh

Reaction score
I live in Arizona, and I am planning on getting a axie here in a few weeks. Anyways, I keep my apartment at around 76-78 most of the day, does this mean my water will be too warm, or does water generally stay cooler than the actual rooms temp?

I was considering using a lot of ice throught the day, like throw some in there and let it float around, and just monitor the temps?

What would you guys suggest to keep the water cool?

PhxJosh

Reaction score
Hi!

I wouldn't throw ice in...if ingested, it can cause major problems like internal frostbite.

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

What if I place a bottle of water in the freezer, and let it float around in the tank, this way they can't get to the ice?

flan123

Reaction score
Hi!

This is one of the popular methods, but make sure you use dechlorinated water in the bottle in case it splits.

The only problem with this is, the water will cool quickly, melting the ice quickly, and heating back up again just as fast. Axolotls can struggle when this happens.

Depending on how big your tank is, I'd certainly try damp tea-towels around the base where the water is and a couple over the top.

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

PhxJosh

Reaction score
I actually moved my tank over to a spot right under a AC vent and the water has been around 69, this is cold enough for a axie right?

I bought a clip fan too that I can mount above the tank, it's quiet enough to run all day if needed. At night the temp should drop down a bit more to around 65 so I think I am set, I just need to let the tank cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1