Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Someone please help.

RandallRock

Reaction score
i have an adult male melanoid albino who is showing signs of serious sickness. I don't have pics yet but will soon hopefully. A few months ago he developed a strage bubble-growth on his lip that has since subsided. Just yesterday after placing him into a tank to breed with a Melanoid albino female I noticed his cloaca was clearly very red and inflamed and there was a what appeared to be a deep red almost black blood blister on one side of the cloaca. Also his tail is definately a deeper red than it was a week ago. i also noticed him shaking in place where he stood occasionally. What am I dealing with? I'm very worried because this is my first real health emergency. I did my best in describing his condition.

Thanks All,
Aaron

flan123

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

A few things the experts will ask you for.

• Whats the temperature of the water?
  • What are the levels of Nitrate, Nitrite, Ammonia and the pH balance?
  • Were the two axies quarantined before adding them into the same tank?
  • Is the other axie showing any signs of illness of distress?
The tail itself can change colour when the axolotl is 'active' (whilst pooping, breeding or swimming, increased bloodflow will cause the tail to change colour).

The shaking could be down to stress of moving tanks. Are his gills facing forwards? And, is the tip of his tail curled? These are the most common indications of stress in an Axolotl.

Pictures of the growths would assist greatly as we have some highly axolotl-experienced people on here. Hope I've given you a good heads-up!

Cheers, Mike.:cool:

callina

Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

when did you notice the red cloaka, just after putting him into the tank with the female or has it been some hours later? What was the behavior of the female - did she show any unusual signs?
Does the male eats well?

Please post a photo, for that you can get better informations.

-Tina-

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Aaron,

How is your axie's appetite? Does it have its mouth agape all the time?

Cheers.

RandallRock

Reaction score
Hi all. Hes appear well. No mouth gaping and he's eating fine, in fact I'd say he has an appetite. The cloaca inflamation has since swelled down. I feel it was probably that way because i was breeding him. He's the proud parent of probably over 500 eggs now. There is still the blister on the cloaca but he seems fine other wise. i did a water change last night and none of his 4 tank mates have shown any sign of his ailments. Thanks all! you guys rock.

Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1