Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Very Old Axolotl

ianclick

Reaction score
Yesterday I was having a look at our property on Google Earth when I noticed a neighbour about 50 meters away had a phenominal 38 ponds on his section. Me being me I had to go and have a look.

Big suprise he is a fish and frog breeder one of the largest suppliers in the North Island of New Zealand as it happens. I asked him if he had considered breeding axolotls and he said that he used to but there wasn't enough revenue and had stopped some 10 years ago.

He then told me he had kept 2 of his breeding stock, a melanoid and a golden albino which had recently died. He offered to show me the melanoid. I accepted.

To my great suprise he has the largest axolotl I have ever seen at a very healthy 16 inches. He claimed it was about 18 years old which is also the oldest living axolotl I have ever seen. Due to its size I am inclined to believe him.

I didn't take a camera with me but I will return soon and get some photos so you too can be amazed

ferret_corner

Reaction score
OOHHH IAN!!! PLEASE??? lol I can't recall having begged for anything much less from a man but I really want to see a picture!

ianclick

Reaction score
I spent a good two hours waiting for a photo oportunity with no joy today, but I have to downsize my estimate of its length. I managed a good look today and to my best estimate its between 13" and 14". I want it.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
At that size, I suspect it wouldn't do as well in an aquarium as it has done in the pond. I would hesitate to move it for that reason.

As everyone else is chanting, I'll add to the din.... photos please!

Toptex

Reaction score
Hi guys, while we are on the subject of old axies, how does one tell if you have an old axie?
I reckon I may have one though Ive only had Jim a couple of months and pet shop had no idea as to what age he was. He is round 22 cm long leucistic, a bit slugish, a few aged (peppary) spots on his cute face.....

I'd love to see a pic too please....
Feeling the presssure Click?
MA

Attachments

• DSC_0067.jpg
    DSC_0067.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46,426
Last edited:

Brocky

Reaction score
What's the record for axolotl size??

Also, does anyone know how old the oldest axolotl is/was??

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Anecdotal evidence suggests they can live up to their 20s. I think it would be exciting to have a thread dedicated to axie 'Guinness book of records'. Imagine members from all over the world vying for the largest/tiniest/oldest axie title! My lovely axies of course hold the title of fairest of them all. :D

big a little a

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Come on Ian, stop milking it!!! Where are these photos of the Mega-Lotl? ;)

MA - your axie really does look like a crotchety old man - he's adorable. I have no idea about age though - mine is only a couple of cms smaller, but he's only around 10 months old and hasn't even got dark toe tips yet.

Zoe x

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Yes, I may have to fly my toothless, hillbilly self down there and take pictures myself!

I'll stop in and visit the fellow building a real cruise missile in his garage while I am at it...

ianclick

Reaction score
I didnt think it would be this hard to get a photo, it lives in a 1000 gallon pond out side and seems to use all of it when I am there, I'm still trying and I will eventually get a good pic in the meantime "Patience my precious"

Nattles88

Reaction score
Ian I think that golden axies are quite hard to come by in NZ. Im not sure if you know, but there is a lady who breeds axlotls just outside of Paeroa who usually sells all her axies to a wholesaler but does sell the privately as well. She has a failry large set-up which include about 20 big cement water troughs. When my axies laid eggs the other day rather unexpectedly,I took them out to her as I am moving in a week and I have no way to look after them myself. She showed me 3 golden axies that she has, Im not sure if they are albino or not but she won't sell any of them because she hasnt been able to get them to breed yet. If that kinda stuff stuff interests you I highly suggest you look at her set up, tis pretty neat

ianclick

Reaction score
Thanks Nattles I'm in Te Aroha at present so its a short trip which I will make tomorrow, Thanks for the heads up

Nattles88

Reaction score
Do you know where Bullswool farm is? Do a google search and it will tell you how to get there

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1