water hardness

Celeste

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Hi guys!

I currently have two female axies, very cute and doing very well, posted earlier about their gills being too small, and it is really surprising to see how fast they are recovering.

My water parameters are fine, I just have one question about water hardness. I am currently using bottled water because my tap water´s Ph is too high (8.5) and the test kist marks that there is no hardness degree (Gh) at all. I use to have a solution with very very concentrated salts (1 liter of this solution with 20 liters of normal water made it a 21 liter 100% Holtfreter´s). Its been a while since I last used it (5 months), and I dont feel confortable using it as it being so concentrated, the salts could interact in a bad way. I purchased some reactives (salts?) and made the salt recipe (40% Holtfreter´s), when I added it to the bottled water, the Gh went to 3º wich I know is still soft. My question is: could I raise safely the amount of salts to get Gh to 9º, wich is the current hardness of my tank?

thanks!!!

Hi Celeste,

I must say adjusting water hardness for a large volume of water can be quite finicky. You might like to private message John for specific advice as he is a postdoc chemist. I have no experience in adjusting hardness levels to precision. However, i have included a little recipe list from axolotl.org that (hopefully) could be of some help to you.

http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm

Cheers.

Hi Ray!!

Thanks for the link, I actually followed that recipe, I will follow your advice!! thanks!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back