Looking for Daphnia & microworms

cdazley

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Christine
Hi all ;)
My 2 love birds mated before I was able to get my seperator in...I thought I had culled all the eggs & a few days later I found 1, 2, 3 & finally 4 eggs which were already looking very much like little axie babies. I was so excited I missed some, I felt so bad not being able to keep any in the first place. These cuties are very close to hatching (14 days since they were laid) & I have baby brine shrimp ready but for the last week I have tried to find daphnia to culture OR microworms & there is nothing :( Does anyone have a contact for these items? Any help would be appreciated. Here is a picture of #4 when I found it... Thank you ~ Christine

Attachments

• getting ready.pdf
    480.4 KB · Views: 620
There are loads of places to mail order daphnia, whiteworms, etc. I wouldn't really recommend microworms, they are too small for any but the smallest larvae (first week or two). If you have no experience culturing food, it may be easier to find a local source of live blackworms. You can chop them at first, then serve whole later. I used to buy them at a couple of shops in Virginia Beach - is that too far for you? It wouldn't hurt to ask around your local shops (don't bother with the Petsmart/Petco types, they never have them). I used to live in Yorktown, but I never had any luck finding them on the Peninsula, only in VA Beach.

Very true in this area & I found one local store left near Newport News & no luck there :( I went to Va Beach & found the brine shrimp culture kit at Animal Jungle (which seems to be working great). I also ordered a daphnia culture kit & I have a feeling the order might take a loooong time, does not seem like a speedy source. I really wanted the daphnia to start with, then the baby brine shrimp & blackworms for variety, just in case one turns out easier than the other. What type of stores carry the blackworms? Local type pet store or like a bait shop? It looks like my 4 buddies might hatch in a day or 2..if I can find them in va beach that would be great, I'm so excited. :D Thanks~ Christine :happy: P.S. I feel so silly not being able to find a place online that will sell me the daphnia, I'm usually really good at finding things. haha

I will order & give an update when I get them ;) Thank you so much, I guess my search for daphnia culture kits just did not hit on it the right way, I knew someone would send me in the right direction here!! Thank you again...It seems like I should be ok with the BBS for now, right? The BBS are very very small & the baby axies look like they might hatch in the next 1 - 3 days. I just want to make sure I have food they will eat...In the meantime I will call around in Va Beach & see about the blackworms, they sound like like a good food to have around.....:lick: Here is the parents, Tank & Kickstand :happy:

Attachments

• DSCN0282.jpg
    DSCN0282.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,597
Yes, you'll be fine with BBS for the first weeks. Animal Jungle sells live blackworms (though they may incorrectly call them live "bloodworms"). If you keep the worms in the fridge, under VERY SHALLOW water, and rinse daily, they will keep for a long time. I used to go to Animal Jungle and buy them on the day they come in, so as to get fresh ones.

Excellent, I will call them bloodworms & see if they are what I am looking for :eek: Thanks again

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back