Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Confused!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
OK, for those of you who don't know, I have 2 adult axolotls, male and female and two of their offspring who are now 6 months old. Also in the mix is a small wildtype who is around 4 inches long.

Right, yesterday I noticed that one of the 6 month old babies has a more swollen cloaca, so I think finally I can separate them all into sexes! Until now I have had the adult male in a 2 and half foot tank with a little bit sectioned off for the wildtype as I believe he's male (though HIS swollen cloaca may have been because he had ingested some gravel before I had him, which he has now passed)
I had the adult female in the four foot tank with the two six monthers.

So today I put the adult female and the 6 month old without a swollen cloaca into the two and half foot tank and the adult male in the four foot tank with the six monther I believe to also be male, with a portion sectioned off for the wildtype. You following this? Confusing huh?

I watched the axies in their new homes to make sure they settled in OK and noticed the 6 month old 'male' pushing the adult male under his tail as males do when they are trying to get the female over the spermatophore. I thought weird, male doing it to a male. Then they swapped and the adult male was doing it to the 6 month old. The adults cloaca was open as though he was about to drop a spermatophore, so I quickly moved the smaller one over the divider into the other side, just in case my 'male' is a swollen female!

So does anyone know if females would display this behaviour? Or is a territorial thing between two males? The two of them haven't been together in the same tank before so I wondered if they were showing dominance over each other?

Sorry if this has been such a long post, I hope you managed to follow it. If you want me to clarify anything just ask! Thank you.

callina

Reaction score
Hi Kerry,

I had to giggle when I read your post, because it´s so funny.;)

Maybe your 6 months old "male" is a male, who´s reaching sexual maturity. At this time, they will push each other (male or female, that doesn´t matter;)) under the tail for "learning/playing" the display.

-Tina-

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I agree with the previous post, however I chalk it up to some male axolotls being "not too bright";).

I had a male in the past that would spend hours trying to get a pvc log to mount his spermatophore.

Last edited:

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Today I have spermatophores! So I'll know for sure whether the little one is male or female as I put him back in with the adult male yesterday.

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

maybe the 6 month old axie is too young for laying eggs.;) Normally axies will get sexual maturity when they are 9-12 months old.

Could you post a photo of the cloaka?

-Tina-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1