Introducing small axies to larger ones

ellena

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have 2 axies about 10" long. We've got a much bigger tank for them (96l 80x30x40cm) and would like to get an albino and maybe a gold one.
The ones for sale are very small though, about 3". Would ours eat/attack them?
Thanks for any advice :)

The 3 inch ones would be too small to join the others.
Also I feel that an 80cm long tank will be too small for more additions.

I have just introduced a 3-4 inch axolotl into a tank with my 6 inch girl.

They hasn't been any problems, at first there was curiosity but now they mainly ignore each other, now and then the baby will climb over the female (Pebbles) but Pebbles doesn't mind to much.

As long as there are plenty of hiding spaces it might work, but I've heard that feeding can cause aggression although my two haven't so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, thanks for that. This tank is an upgrade from a 45cm one! What are the stocking guides for axolotls?
I'd read 2 in a 2ft tank on several sites?

I had read one in a 2 foot upto 3 in a 3 foot.

Not sure if this is right though.

Mel

Last edited by a moderator:
The Basic rules all axolotls follow:

1. If it moves eat it. If it does not move, gulp it up and eat it anyway.

2. If it too big to fit in the mouth, try any way. The see rule number one.

3. All other animals, including other axolotls, are fair game if they meet the requirements of rules one and two. And sometimes, just parts are fair game also...

As for tank water volume per adult, I would go with John's suggestions on axolotl.org. I experimented a bit in the past with tank volume versus stocking density, and believe me when I say, John is correct. I keep my adults solo each her own, ten gallon tank.

Keep in mind that everything in the tank affects water volume, including the axolotl itself. My ten gallon tanks actually only have about 8.5 gallons of water in them when you figure in plants hides, filtration, the animal and substrate (back when I still used substrates...)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back