Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello!!!! New here

Malvinsmommy

Reaction score
Hi im Zoie, and this is Melvin, my southern two lined water salamander!!!! And my user name is supposed to be Melvinsmommy, but, it got messed up:(, but this is Melvin

PHTO0272.jpg
that is him when I first got him and this is him now, and he just shed his tail!!!!

th_p_00145-1.jpg
th_p_00107.jpg
but I just thought I would introduce myself, and Melvin:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Are you sure it's a southern two-lined salamander? These are indistinguishable from northerns except by locality.

And salamanders don't 'shed their tails'. Something caused it to drop tail: stress, injury, handling. It isn't normal for them to lose their tail.

Malvinsmommy

Reaction score
Thank You
Oh and I've never picked him up by his tail , there's nothing in his tank that he could have got caught under. I cant remember where, but it said salamanders shed their tails, I couldn't think of what else it could have been from. But what else could it have been from?
Oh and I did mean northern sorry for the mix up:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They shed their tails as a defensive meassure against predators, just like some lizards.
As Kaysie said, something caused the drop of the tail...stress, injury...

ferret_corner

Reaction score
OK I found this site http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/deptmpl.asp?url=/content/dep/herps/Newts.asp which makes it sound like sals can shed their tails at will....

I also found this site http://www.asknature.org/strategy/09349a8a2dd3a9a86e9bd7c004ec010e which makes it clear a salamander "sheds" its tail for the sole purpose of escaping a predator.

and just about every other site debates the ease with which a salamander can shed its tail and to the completeness it can regenerate one.

But most say the same thing - a predator has to threaten the salamander for the tail to fall off. It didn't just drop off because the salamander didn't want it any more.

Some thing scared it and the tail fell off or it had an injury and it rotted off.

None of those sites are what I would call definitive and for most I did not see the author site where they had gotten their information. But THIS SITE will have the definitive answer. And if one of the experts steps up to answer - I'll take their word over every site on the 'net - practically!

Malvinsmommy

Reaction score
ok thanx for the sites, but yea, cuz thats all it could be, unless,before i got him sumin happened, but just now fell off?? maybe:s

Malvinsmommy

Reaction score
I think I know what has been happening. I was looking for him in his tank, and I discovered a giant pincher beetle, and Melvin's tail was shorter today, so iI think it was recently shortened by the bug,, but I killed the bug, and now Melvin is safe. I'm glad I caught it or, I might have eventually lost Melvin, but problem solved!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1