Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Forward Gills?

yager

Reaction score
I have heard that forward facing gills is a sure sign of stress, and gill flicking is bad too, water quality right. Well this little guy is eating like a champ.....here are some pics of his gills. Do you guys think this looks bad? What sort of water testing should I do? The temp is 69-70 degress so i know thats not it. Ph maybe? I am using tap water with dechlorinator.

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 622
  • Picture 083.jpg
    Picture 083.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,226
  • Picture 077.jpg
    Picture 077.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 827
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,008
  • Picture 072.jpg
    Picture 072.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 510

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

your axie ist looking fine and healthy - a cute little guy.:D

If you change the water daily, it´s not necessary to test it.

For the tank, by doing non-daily water changes, iit´s important to test for ammonia, nitirite and nitrate, as long as your tank isn´t cycled. In a full-cycled tank you should test for nitrate and do regulary water changes, if you´ve tested more than 50ppm of nitrate.

-Tina-

yager

Reaction score
Thank you, I thought his gills were messed up or something. His tail is really straight with no curl at the tip so i guess if i keep changing his water he will be all good....you are awsome callina!!!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I've found that juveniles' gills tend to be a lot more forward than most adults. I agree though, little guy looks nice and healthy.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
He is looking good! With juveniles in my experience, their gills are always perky. As previous posters stated, I do not think you have any issues with your animal at this time.

callina

Reaction score
I've found that juveniles' gills tend to be a lot more forward than most adults.
That is true.
But notice: The gills of the most juveniles are much longer than their heads width. I´ve never seen an adult axie with such long gills (f.e. 3cm). That´s the reason why the gills of the juveniles often are a little bit curled forward. It´s a problem of balance.;)

-Tina-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!