Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Scent

bex255

Reaction score
I was just wondering what axolotls and their tanks are meant to smell like. I have only had mine for a few days and completely changed the water yesterday but there is a scent coming from the water that is a bit sickly. Should I be worried? I did leave her waste in there a bit longer than I would have liked due to a lack of turkey baster, but have now gotten one. Could that be why?
I have just done a 20% change but the smell remains.

melfly

Reaction score
Hiya
Is your tank already cycled?
If so then you need to just keep an eye on the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.
If not cycled i think you need to change the water pretty regularly.

I have some babies whose water i change 100% one to two days as they are in tubs rather than a tank yet

Hope this helps til someone else comes along!

Mel

bex255

Reaction score
I would say probably a mix of swamp and rot, but it has gone down a fair bit since I changed the water. It isn't that strong and I can't smell it unless I go quite close, but it doesn't smell like normal water. The tank isn't cycled yet and there is no food, waste or living plants.

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

maybe it´s from the ground. Do you use sand or gravel on the bottom? Wet sand smells a little bit like mud.

-Tina-

melfly

Reaction score
Mine sometimes smell a bit metallic if you understand what I mean, lol.
It's an odd smell but it's only apparent when they need a change.

Mel

Ps Don't change the water too much (i.e. no 100% changes while it's cycling).

Last edited by a moderator:

bex255

Reaction score
No I'm not using a substrate yet so it can't be that.

Yeah I won't change 100% again, just 20% daily. Hopefully it will just gradually dissipate.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bex,

Just a thought...

Are you using a filter or airstone in the aquarium? Filters help keep the water aerated, and this helps prevent stagnation from occuring (the smell of stagnation is similar to 'swamp and rot').

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Since the smell persists after water changes, perhaps its your dechlorinator? Most dechlorinators have a sulphuric odour. Just a thought, im actually having a stuffy nose. :(

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I would have to agree on the water pretreater being one possible source of the odor.

Another could be the water itself. Often, well water has a high TDS (total dissolved solids) level that generates an odor only upon stagnation. Municipal water can do this too, although it is not as common.

To be honest, all of my aquariums have what can only be described as a "green" odor, however, I use a lot of live plants, live moss, and real wood, so that vaugely earthy scent is normal around here. My axolotl tanks are heavily planted, but the "green" odor is a clean smell, as opposed to the swamp odor you describe.

I too suggest the addition of some light aeration, this should help resolve the issue.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1