Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma Gracile personalities

BMOC

Reaction score
This question is towards all A. Gracile owners.
Are your A. Graciles more like tigers or spotteds?

Thanks
BMOC

Skyfall

Reaction score
I havn't owned a spotted salamander before, but I would say they are like tigers...
We have 5 where I work and they always crack me up. If I walk in the room to look at them they will come up to the glass and just stare at me, as soon as I open the lid they are ready to go :)
And so help me if I need to feed another salamander... I get the worst stare down from at least 3 of them... lol
But in that same sence they are not too squrmmy, they are pretty chill if I pick them up. I love them

hope that helps...:D

Salmonella

Reaction score
It is interesting to consider that amphibians have personalities but I think they do. My experience is that it varies with species and then individuals. The T. grans, and C. orientalis are little beggars and busy bodies. There is always one out of these groups that is super outgoing and seemingly fearless. One of my C.o.'s spies on me quite often, sitting on his bum, front legs held loosely in front, kinda like a Prairie Dog. (I am trying to get a pic of this.) The Ensatinas and A. macrodactylum are shy (although the long toes are very responsive at feeding time). It is also interesting that the C.o. and T. grans. learn immediately to follow my direction to newly added food dishes or food sources. They do not need to be shown again either and they camp out, patiently waiting in their dishes for supper time. Some even prefer that I hand feed them but I indulge them only occasionally. The A. gracile, and A. macro.. just come out in the evening and beg with their little toes and noses pressed up against the tank following me back and forth until dinner is served. This is way entertaining. I am the great Pez head - instead of delivering candy I deliver squirmies.:p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!