Moving Axolotls

Nattles88

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I know this had been done to death a million times and Im useless at the search function so Im going to have to ask it again? Whats the easiest way of transporting my axies.

I am moving about 30mins away and Im not sure how to move them. It'll be a quick trip and I don't really have a way of taking the preexisting water in the tank with me to my new house. How can I set up their new tank with minimal stress to them?

If its possible fill an eskie with their water and take that, but put them in fish bags with water. If they are large axies - you should stop once and open the bag and aggitate (sp?) the water a bit, band it off, and take off - leave a large air bubble at the top.

What about a plastic cooler with some water ?

I would go with the eskie/cooler option as well. It also keeps the water temperature cool.

Just an off tangent thought -- Im surprised Sharon used the word eskie, its such an aussie thing!

:ufo:

I am an Aussie living in NZ and every time I say the word eskie, everyone apart from my fiance and his family looks at me funny. I hate having to call it a 'chilly bin'. I think I will be able to rustle up a eskie somewere around the place.

LOL I've been hanging with Neke and Havelock to much!! I now SAY eskie in conversation and get all sorts of weird looks.

And "chilly bin" is CUTE!!! hahaha

Hi Nattles I'm a Kiwi livng in NZ and from memory Kmart sell them as "eskies". "Fair Dinkum"

far out Im going to have to pay attention next time I go into Kmart in Hamilton!

oh cr*p I came home today and my mother in law said my axie was acting really weird earlier in the day. Take a look in the tank and oh cr*p I have a lot of eggs. Looks like I have to go over to the breeding section. Ianclick, you aren't interesting in any free axie eggs are you??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back