Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

2 new tigers 1 new person

ghostsaw

Reaction score

grius

Reaction score
Im new to this salamander hobby, but dont that last tiger ook way too thin?

ghostsaw

Reaction score
These are my first tiger salamanders. The first one has gained weight in the two weeks I have had it. I have been feeding phoniex worms and crickets. I was gonna go get some nightcrawlers and see if they would eat them. Any suggestions on feeding are welcome. The second salamander I just got the day of the picture. Didn't think it looked unhealthy was very active and even ate crickets. I thought it looked long and slender compared to my other one. They both definitely have their own apperance..

ghostsaw

Reaction score
Well I tried to feed them red worms and they both had the same reaction...they both backed away real fast..there must be something in the worms slime that they do not find appetizing. Any thoughts??

madeve

Reaction score
If you offered red wrigglers they may be put off by the taste, mostly if chopped up. I feed my tigers night crawlers and I recently tried pan trout worms which they seem to like.

By the way I hope you quarantined your new tiger.

Kurt

Reaction score
The second one looks dangerously thin. Have it checked out immediately by a knowledgable vet. I hope they are not housed together.

madeve

Reaction score
I think that if you feed your new tiger a few waxworms he'll put on some healthy weight quickly, once he looks like he's got a good weight on him you can feed him earthworms.

Good luck with him.

Kurt

Reaction score
Feeding waxworms to get some weight on it is good and all, but you have to wonder why is it that thin in the first place. My guess that it may have gastrointestinal parasites and maybe there is another medical explanation. Either way, I would take it to a vet.

Reaction score
I see you are using coco fiber as substrat. I have had a great crop of fungus with that substrat. Now I only use Organic Soil.

ghostsaw

Reaction score
been feeding the new tiger crickets wax worms and phoniex worms and he is starting to fill out more. It is very fast and snappy.

pete

Reaction score
Often times newly acquired tigers are thin, from stress/capture/conditions they were kept in etc. I don't think I'd be too concerned about the weight unless the animal is refusing to eat or does not put on weight.

ghostsaw

Reaction score
well it has been 2 weeks now and I would have to say that he is alot wider now. Also turned a darker color as well............................
20090531_7187.jpg

RPM

Reaction score
He looks fine now. For substrate, I prefer dirt from my backyard (pesticide, etc. free of course).
Good luck

Melmo

Reaction score
Well, he looks better. Waxworms are good caudate food if you gotten fatten one up. Great pictures do you use, what camera and lens do you use? Welcome to the site!

ghostsaw

Reaction score
I used a nikon d200 with a sb600 flash off camera and a 28mm-85mm nikon macro lens which is a 42mm -127.5 mm on my camera because of the sensor size....(I think I did that right)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!