Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

High NO2 (Nitrite) reading and low PH

Toptex

Reaction score
Checked the water tonight (did a 50% water replacement yesterday) and got a low ph - 6, and 0.25-0.50 Nitrite reading. Ammonia and Nitrate were 0. Why? Decided to do another 50% change, another full water test revealed the same reading.
What is my next plan of attack to get the perfect reading?
FOI - sand substrate, only one axie, 60cm x 30 tank and temp, around 20-21C

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Any wood in the tank?

How long has the tank been set up?

Which water pretreatment are you using?

Any plants? live or artificial?

Is there, or has there been heavy algae growth in the tank?

Finally, what caused you to do such a large water change to start with?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1