Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

axie coming in a week and tank problems?

baurelio

Reaction score
Nervous because my boyfriends tank has been cycling for like two weeks...we got the temp down and that was our first problem..then ammonia levels were too high so we were going to get some ammonia remover..no fish or anything in the tank and nervous because he just took the water to a local pet store to be tested and the nitrie & nitrat were too high...so for soe reason he did a full water change and bought stuff to remove ammonia and level out the nitrate/nitrite levels

we have pool filter sand as a substrate and a bunch of live plants and such

so im nervous because our axies will be here in like a week and i dont know if it will all be ok for them! =[

Celeste

Reaction score
Hi Baurelio!

The ammonia peak is normal during cycling process. Doing a full water change probably means that you will have to start all over again. Read this:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

When i got my axies my tank was already cycled, so I have no experience in cycling with axies in it or having them in a separate container with frequent water changes, maybe someone else can help you with that.

By the way, my tank took about 3 months to be fully cycled... quite a long period of time. I dont know about the ammonia remover, I dont know how well does it works, but as I was telling you, you have to have ammonia so your tank´s bacteria can establish!

Hope this helps!!

tran

Reaction score
Hi,

When I got my axies my tank wasn't cycled either. Don't rush the cycling process!! It's perfectly okay to keep them in plastic bins (the exact size depends on the size of your axies) filled with dechlorinated water for the time being. You have to change the water daily with fresh dechlorinated water and if you want, an airstone helps with aeration (I found an airstone to be unnecessary if one axie is kept in one tub). Amquel, Prime or other dechlorinators work fine.

Changing water every day sounds like a chore, but it's not bad at all because the tubs are smaller than your tank and can be picked up easily. Also some sort of lid theoretically should be used to prevent them jumping out.

Actually the Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center keeps axies this way their entire lives! As long as you change the water often, they will be healthy and well-adjusted.

Mine were in plastic tubs for more than 2 months while my tank completed the cycling process. I found it easier to feed them live blackworms and frozen bloodworms as they grew up in individual tubs. Had to keep upsizing the tubs as they grew though: first it was small bowls, then larger tupperware containers, then plastic shoe bins.

I'm sure your axies will appreciate you being patient and cycling the tank without them in it. Once the tank is cycled, introduce them in one at a time (wait a few days between introduction of each one) to ensure you don't get any ammonia spikes.

Best of luck.

callina

Reaction score
Hi,

as long as there aren´t any axies, fishes or other creatures in the tank, you shouldn´t do big water changes durnig the cycling process.
Just before the axies come in, you have to do a 50-80% water change and then you should test the water regulary (nitrite and nitrate) once a day and do water changes (20-50%) if the parameters are too high.

I`ve putted all my axies in a non-cycled tank and i had no problems. But it´s very important to test the water once or twice a day and to do water changes if necessary.

-Tina-

baurelio

Reaction score
thank you! well i believe that for some reason the tank is fine now! no ammonia and the nitrate and nitrite levels are fine -- so hoping all is well!
Thank you!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I cheat a bit here...

If you have a friend with a older operating freshwater tank. (no sick fish, ick, algae problems...etc) You can "borrow" some of their water and a bit of the siphonings from the gravel and help get your biofilter started.

I have a couple of goldfish...well okay, they are carp sized now...that I use to get the cycle going. Mind you, They are four years old and disease free. Do not use goldfish that haven't been quarantined for at least a month.

The ammonia cycle cannot stabilize without the presence of something live. Goldfish are hardy tough little carp that are exceeded in their hardiness only by their ability to output the filthy ammonia ridden waste needed to get those beneficial bacteria doing their job.

melfly

Reaction score
thank you! well i believe that for some reason the tank is fine now! no ammonia and the nitrate and nitrite levels are fine -- so hoping all is well!
Thank you!

I wouldn't be so sure.
It will take longer than 2 weeks to cycle a tank fully.
You need to be adding a source of ammonia.

Check out the cycling link above

Mel

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so sure.
It will take longer than 2 weeks to cycle a tank fully.
You need to be adding a source of ammonia.

Check out the cycling link above

Mel

I agree 100%. The larger the volume of water, the longer it will take to get it properly cycling while the bioload balances out.

Last edited:

ianclick

Reaction score
The absolute best things for tank cycling are patience and time, there are many chemical quick fixes available but there is also some anecdotal evidence which suggests these may create as many issues as they alleviate.

Its abit like taking a head cold or flu remedy it will treat the symptoms but not the cause.

good Luck

kenya

Reaction score
I wish I had goldfish. I have my betta but I fear 70 F water would kill him. Not to mention I am trying to bring the temp down further. I've got a live plant in there, and steal water from his tank, but I'm afraid to use him.

melfly

Reaction score
It is stressful for the fish cycling a tank
Same as if you cycled with your axie in there
You would need to do 20% water changes daily to make sure the fish is not coming to too much harm

You ideally need to do a FISHLESS cycle

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!