food question for axolotls

nora

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it ok to give axolotls cichlid pellets?
Protein 35%
Fat 10%
Fiber 2%
Main ingredients are whole salmon,whole herring,whole shrimp,wheat flour,wheat gluten,fresh kelp,lecithin,astaxanthin with vitamins.
nora

I think it depends on the specific vitamins that are in the cichlid pellets. Do you know what they are in detail?

There is a consensus that Rangen brand pellets are a good staple diet for axolotls. They also have fish as a main ingredient, but because a main diet of fish can cause thiamine deficiency in axolotls, the Rangen pellets are fortified with Thiamine as well as other supplements to make them nutritiously balanced for axolotls.

Here are the ingredients in the Rangen pellets:
Fish Meal, Wheat Feed Flour, Blood Meal, Fish Oil, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin,
Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid (d-calcium
panothenate), Pyridoxine (hydrochloride), Riboflavin, Thiamine
(mononitrate), Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin A (acetate), Vitamin D
(d-activated animal sterol), Vitamin E (dl-alpha tocopheryl acetate),
Vitamin K3 (menadione sodium bisulfite complex), Copper Sulfate,
Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodate, Salt, Zinc, Sulfate, Ethoxyquin
(preservative), Proprionic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Propylene Glycol,
Canthaxanthin.
Can be found here [http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/pellets.pdf]

I think if you don't already have these cichlid pellets, then buying Rangen Pellets (like at Edsflymeat.com) is a terrific choice as a staple diet for your axolotls. They are pretty cheap too, and last long.

All the best.

The cichlid pellets are pretty close in ingredients( its missing Vit K3, potassium iodate and thiamine). I'll use this until I get the Rangen pellets.
Thanks for helping a newbie axolotl keeper.

The problem you'll run into is that cichlid pellets float. This will force them to gulp the pellets off the surface. They might take in excess air and float more.

They are also really hard. I'm not sure if they can break them up.

When cichlid pellets start to break down they break up into tiny little pieces, making quite the mess.

If you are looking for a temporary food item - frozen bloodworms and live earthworms work well.

I occasionally feed cichlid pellets, however, I do so after they have been softened in spring water and with a modified turkey baster I made for that purpose. I do this only in emergencies though, which is to say, not too often. As for feeding them as a staple, I would not recommend it. A few years back when I was poor, I had no choice to feed them these as it was what I had on hand, however over a few weeks period of this, my axies lost significant weight and showed some gill shrinkage. I skipped my Top Ramen ;) allowance one week and went and got them some earthworms and Tetra brand Turtle and Newt pellets. Again due to bad financial times, they ended up with those pellets as a staple for quite a while and did markedly better, however once I had things back together, I returned to earthworms as a staple.

I've given these pellets to Olive and found that if I soak them and then squeeze them the air will escape and they will sink. I try and give her more bloodworms and earth worms than pellets but keep them in her diet just in case I run out of worms.

The only reason I am giving her these is because that what she was fed on in the aquatic shop. Hope this helps. Oh they are the smallest size ones I believe they come in three sizes.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nora,

i would go with what nature intended and feed axies a staple of earthworms and blackworms mainly. Specially formulated pellets for axies are commercially available and would be more appropriate in terms of nutritional composition if intended to feed as a staple.

Cheers.

Or you can try out a few of the revolting to make, but healthy for axolotl DIY pellet recipes hiding in the forums here. (shameless plug)

Just search for "cooking" and "pellets".

Nothing beats a fat juicy nightcrawler though.

Well, my order for axolotl pellets came in and the axies just looked at them. They won't touch them. So I'll keep trying to entice them with these. I have been feeding every three days for the adult female and every other day for the adult male. The male looks pretty thin but happily he has an appetite for worms.
Thank you for your suggestions.
nora

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back