breeding newts.

EdsExotics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Edward Rafferty
Hey, once again I have another qestion :D.
I have looked around and can't find anything that tells me how many times a years you can breed newts. So can anybody tell me how many times a year I can breed them, or the safest amount of times? Sorry I have asked alot of qestions on this forum, but I'm a newcomer to breeding and raising amphibians, so any question that pops into my head and I can't find an answer to, I just ask it so I can get all the info I need and want.

Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind(s) of newts are you interested in breeding? It's difficult to make generalizations. Most species breed in the springtime. They may lay eggs over a period of several months. For most species, there is no concept of "how many times per year", it's just a seasonal thing. It is possible to manipulate axolotls to breed several times/yr, but this isn't typical for newts.

True, without knowing the species, it´s very difficult to provide the information...
As Jen said, the majority of species have a very seasonally influenced breeding behaviour..and therefore only breed after some particular requirements have been met, normally during winter.
Some, as Triturus, MIGHT breed twice a year....once in spring and once in autumn, though the second breeding is usually less prolific.
Others like Cynops orientalis might breed for 9 months on a row each year....so there´s no time for a second breeding.

You also need to consider that it´s not a matter of how many times a year YOU want to breed them, but a matter of how many times and when THEY want to breed. They are not like say frogs, which might breed everytime a water change is made...most caudates require a pretty specific preparation for breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back