Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help with newts

JudeT

Reaction score
I have recently acquired 3 tiny baby newts from a small weed-filled pond in the woods below our house. I brought the newts home by accident in a bowl of water-weed which I was bringing to my tadpoles. I think they are baby marbled newts (they have a mini-marbled pattern - and we have found adult marbled newts nearby our house last year). I'm in two minds as to whether I should keep these little fellows, or put them back. I have read that they are prey for various critters and I would love to raise these three and then let them go later on when they're grown. At the moment they are a tad over an inch long and have four little legs and feathery gills. I'm keeping them in a bowl with rainwater, their own pond water, and their own pond weed. My worry is what to feed them. I understand they eat daphnia - but will these not be in their own pond water? How big are daphnia? If I give them fresh batches of their pond water(and weed) regularly, will their food likely be in it? There are a mass of mini creatures amongst the weed - including normal coloured worms, small leeches (eeeek!) and others. Are my little newts likely to be feeding on any of this? I can't see any small swimming-type creatures (like mosquito larvae). Any advice would be most welcome. If the general concencus is that I should replace them in their pond I will, but I would love to have a go at raising them if I can. Many thanks for any advice.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well...i don´t think you should.
If i´m not mistaken, it´s illegal to catch native species in France. So, i asume, it is to release animals into nature.
You should put those back where they belong, and as soon as possible. If they have had contact or kept in the same room with other amphibians, then you should probably contact the authorities and let them deal with them, since there is a chance of introducing patogens in wild populations.

If you really want to get into the this hobby i strongly suggest that you find yourself a breeder(there are plenty in france, and many more around europe who will ship to you), and buy some captive bred animals of a species of your appealing(not native species though, unless your local laws allow it). That way you get quality, healthy animals, and the wild animals remain where they belong.

JudeT

Reaction score
Thanks Azhael

I will return them to their pond. They haven't been near any other creatures and have only been in their own pond water, and some fresh rainwater. I don't think their is a chance of them being in any way contaminated. I would love to have seen them grow up but will take your advice. They are looking healthy and swimming well so I'm sure I've done no harm. I did catch them by accident in the first place! Many thanks.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m glad you are doing the right thing.
You see, it´s illegal to catch them for a good reason...we must do our best to protect our amphibians.
If you decide to follow my advice and contact a breeder to get your very own animals, we´ll be glad to help in whatever we can :)

JudeT

Reaction score
I have just released the three little fellows back into their little pool. There seem to be many living there. The pool is small and fed by water which drains down through our wooded hill. It's almost full of a fine water weed which contains a vast amount of small creatures, including worms. It's obviously a perfect newt nursery. Many thanks again.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I would give anything to be so lucky as to have a caudate breeding pond in my backyard!

We would love to see some pictures of this natural habitat!

Also, Good on you for doing the right thing and returning them home.

Steve Roman

Reaction score
It is very refreshing to see a newcomer embrace good advice on not taking animals that belong n the wild. This does not always happen.

jbherpin

Reaction score
I agree, it takes a lot to put aside excitement and curiousity in order to do the right thing! Bravo JudeT! Chances are some will stay close and you could just do frequent field studies on them. Good luck with finding a breeder/appealing species! Let us know what you decide on.

-jbherpin-

JudeT

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive comments. I actually felt much better after I had returned the babies to their pool. Funnily enough I also nipped back and took some photos - and then read Johnny's request! Once I figure out how to upload the pics I will do it. I also have photos of the fire salamanders, marbled newt and gorgeous toad, that I took in the last year which you may enjoy.
I don't think I'll look for a breeder, I'll stick to watching them in their natural environment, since they seem to live all around us. The fire salamanders I photographed were beside the same pool that I found the baby newts in. I'll be back out with torch and camera on the next rainy night!

Jude:happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1