Illness/Sickness: Weird blister/parasite/tumors?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
Ok I've never seen this before. I've seen an occasional raised pimple but these are ODD looking as they seem to have a clear cap and "something" inside?

picture.php

and this one...

picture.php

None of the other axolotls have this. I looked them all over very carefully. They are all housed to gether.

WOW.

That is a new one to me too!

I would swear they are some sort of subcutaneous parasite, however I can not tell if those cysts are transparent/ translucent with something light colored in them or opaque with that light spot at the "head".

The triad of white marks there- are those pigmentation? Scars? or something hanging off of the skin?

I would quarantine the animal just to be safe. (Which I am guessing you already have) A lot of those burrowing skin parasites hatch from their hosts out of "bubbles" like that and can be a real pain to evict from a tank.

Last edited:
Hi Sharon,

I am rather certain that the lesions are from an infectious agent (bacterial or protozoal).

If you haven't done so, you would need to isolate that axie from your other axies immediately. Do the usual fridging routine. Do not handle the axie with your bare hands. You probably know all these but i thought i shall just be naggy.

Has there been any recent introductions into the tank, change in husbandry (not change in husband ;)), other accompanying signs of illness or stress? How is the appetite?

My differentials judging from the well circumscribed, raised lesions are mycobacterial panniculitis, gas forming anaerobic/clostridial abscesses, fluke and protozoal parasite sub dermal cysts. If there are feeder fish in the tank, these can also cross infect them, and some can remain as asymptomatic latent carriers that remain as a continuous source of infection.

Unfortunately, you would need to bring this axie to a vet. The vet will fine needle aspirate or biopsy the lesions to determine the cause and then adminster the appropriate treatment.

If you need to contact me, i have already added your email to my messenger but you NEVER log on!

Cheers.

Hey Ray! I was hoping you would chime in! And I even left a message for you directing you to this post.

I replied via email as I know your connection here is spotty.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply here!

{{{ ray! }}}

No worries sharon, anything for my favourite shazza. I thought i shall just answer your questions from your email here so that there is a case history link for easy reference.

Any vet would be able to perform a fine need aspirate. Basically the vet would get a needle and syringe and randomly take several random samples from the lesions by sucking up material from the lesion. This procedure is minimally invasive although analgesia and anaesthesia (ie. isoflurane) can still be used. I would tend not to go with anaesthesia for this as there are more risks associated with anaesthetic delivery. The most critical part of most procedures is actually anaesthesia.

Thereafter, the material (whether its cellular or a fluid discharge), can be placed on a slide and stained to look for microbiological agents such as bacteria and types of cellular composition (whether there are inflammatory cells, cancerous cells etc). This alone gives a lot of information. If bacteria is seen, the sample might be cultured to identify the specific type of bacteria and what antibiotics they are sensitive to. This would give the direction for appropriate antibiotic therapy.

The next step up is getting a punch biopsy. This is more invasive than the fine needle aspirate but again can give a lot of information. A piece of the lesion is removed for histopathological analysis. The necessity for this step is determinant on what the fine needle aspirate reveals.

To be honest, my greatest worry is that it is a form of cutaneous tuberculosis caused by mycobacterium. This type of bacteria infection are super nasty to treat because they can remain latent, highly infectious, can cross species and very drug resistant. Even some drugs commonly used to treat this in small animals such as doxycycline are not suitable antibiotics for axolotls. Tetracycline class of antibiotics cause nasty skin irritation, sloughing and even dermal necrosis. Dead skin ain't pretty. Mycobacteria infections often take on the clinical presentation of such type of skin lesions.

I would say that anaerobic or clostridial infections are much less likely, simply because the tank environment don't tend to support their growth. Unless there were prior penetrating wounds on the axie that seeded these bacteria types, it is less much less likely. They also tend to die off in highly oxygenated environment. There is still a remote possibility though as such infections tend to cause ballooning type lesions due to a gas buildup (crepitus).

The next possibility are external parasites and flukes. Some axies react very strongly to such irritation. They start having an overt immune reaction. Flukes or any burrowing type parasites in particular, can cause local inflammation to the tissue, much like how you get a itchy raised bump from a mosquito bite. The axie's body will try to wall off this foreign body by forming the lesion as a means to prevent it from entering deeper tissues or the bloodstream. Some parasites also adapt to this and actually use it to their advantage to proliferate. A fine needle aspirate and microscopy can help reveal if parasites are the cause. Once they are identified, the treatment is usually more straightforward.

In summary, the axie still needs to see a vet but if you are cautious, you may opt to just go for fine needle aspirate and assessment /diagnosis before jumping to treatments.

Cheers.

No worries sharon, anything for my favourite shazza. I thought i shall just answer your questions from your email here so that there is a case history link for easy reference.

Any vet would be able to perform a fine need aspirate. Basically the vet would get a needle and syringe and randomly take several random samples from the lesions by sucking up material from the lesion. This procedure is minimally invasive although analgesia and anaesthesia (ie. isoflurane) can still be used. I would tend not to go with anaesthesia for this as there are more risks associated with anaesthetic delivery. The most critical part of most procedures is actually anaesthesia.

Ok the anaesthesia is what I was concerned with. I can GUARANTEE the monkeys here who call themselves exotic vets will want to use one. A fine needle aspirate I can demand they perform in front of me too.

To be honest, my greatest worry is that it is a form of cutaneous tuberculosis caused by mycobacterium. This type of bacteria infection are super nasty to treat because they can remain latent, highly infectious, can cross species and very drug resistant. Even some drugs commonly used to treat this in small animals such as doxycycline are not suitable antibiotics for axolotls. Tetracycline class of antibiotics cause nasty skin irritation, sloughing and even dermal necrosis. Dead skin ain't pretty. Mycobacteria infections often take on the clinical presentation of such type of skin lesions.

How possible is this tuberculosis?

As for contagions - I have no clue. Nothing new here except the recent shipment of blackworms. Plants have all been here for months. They have been in cramped quarters while I shuffled tanks but they had an 80gl tank filter which certainly hyperfiltered their water (I cut the force of the flow with slate and bagged filter media).

I called some of the more advanced vet offices this morning and was waiting to hear back from them but I forgot my daughters' Kindergarten class was having a party I needed to film and take pictures at. AND!!!!! I gave them my house number but didn't plug in the house phone. PERFECT!!

Getting an appointment is easy, getting a vet to do what I WANT, as I say to do it and then prescribe the appropriate treatment my friend from AUS reccommended to me.... whole 'nother story. But I've been there before with these yahoos. I had to tell the idiot about a show I saw on animal planet where they put pins and a cast on a hamster leg - the vet I was seeing had said it couldn't be done. I got pissed and said "oh yeah genius? I saw a better vet do it animal planet, go back to school!" I scooped the little guy up, took him home vet wrapped his leg with a bent toothpick and he lived for at least another 2 years and all 4 legs worked.

Ok we have a plan, I'll let you know how it works out.

Hi Sharon,

Its hard to say just based on photos alone. I would be more certain if i could examine the patient in person. I normally assume the worst but wish for the best when it comes to patients. Mycobacteria is definitely on my differential list but it would require more diagnostic testing to rule in or out. Just to be safe, i still recommend isolation of the patient and careful handling to avoid any zoonotic transmission.

There are some bacteria that are actually already present on your axie from birth. Most of these microflora or commensal bacteria they are called, are usually harmless (or even beneficial) to your axie unless something predisposes them to their opportunistic infection. In reptiles and amphibians, salmonella and mycobacteria (not commensals in humans) can be present on them and yet remain asymptomatic for years. Thus, they can be healthy carriers. One possibility is that perhaps something triggered a recrudesence.

Blackworms or any live feed for that matter always serve as a potential vector source of parasites and infections. Some types of worms, such as tubifex are grown in conditions that are not really sanitary and hence i would not be surprised if they can introduce bacteria to the tank. Unlike feeder fish, we seldomly quarantine worms, especially those with a short shelf life.

Nontheless, i think the safest, cheapest and most logical action would be to get the fine needle aspirate performed first. That would give you the clear diagnosis for you to plan your next step.

Cheers.

Any news? I hope this axie is well by now, but would really like to know what the problem was. Thanks

Hi Sherri - sorry was conversing with Ray via email and visitor messages.

The axy is doing fantastic still. The blisters are still there. He's eating great, pooping fine, gills look better actually since he's been in isolation.

I dunno. But he is sequestered for next few months until this resolves or doesn't.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I haven't seen any others on this topic and hoped to hear an update.

I have a 7 year old while axolotl that I just noticed similar blisters on today (though in his case they or further protruded and look more like bubbles on his skin rather than in his skin).

While I make arrangements for a vet visit, I was hoping to find out what the illness and treatment were and what happened next.

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back