Photo: two tailed Baby

sharelkaye

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen more than usual toes but never more than one tail on a axolotl juvie and out of about 200 babies this one stood out and I took a closer look at this little gold albino and it had two fully developed TAILS!!! He eats normally, swims kinda of fun, but is living happily.

Im thinking maybe he got bit and his body tried to heal it and it just grew another tail

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 368
  • DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 427
Gosh that is interesting, I look forward to seeing how this develops.

probably got nipped in such a way that the tail regenerated another with the original still attached. Happens with lizards.

It will be an oddball when it gets even bigger thats for sure.

WOW.

That is strange.
Please keep us updated

Does it affect it swiming at all?

Wow! I love freaky axolotls and have been hoping to see one with multiple tails for a while now! Good luck raising this special one.

Completely off tangent, but reminds me of a mermaid. ;)

When I said swims kinda fun I meant funny and yes like a mermaid but side ways. I will keep you all updated, but so far he is just the same just a little different kinda like Nemo. :happy::lol:

Wierd but cool.

Sort of like a dolphin or whale.
:ha:

Last edited by a moderator:
That is very cool! I've seen newts with 3 front legs (where one has re-grown due to injury), and lizards with a second tail, but not an axolotl.
I'd love to see how he turns out in the long run!

The tail on the top is flopping over and he wiggles when he swims ,but he/she is growing and I will be keeping him/her. If it is a girl her name will be Ariel because of the little mermaid lol. :D

I will up date with pictures later when he/she (hoping for a girl) is bigger!!

If he/she is really a he, what would you suggest I name him?:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poseidon

or Eric if you want to keep with the little mermaid theme... :D

My vote is for "Jaws".

Picture him as an adult cruising the surface of the tank to snag that unsuspecting night-crawler from your fingers...

<hums Jaws theme music>

Little bugger reminds me of those shots of the multiple armed (as in more than 4) axolotl that was in the news a while back.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back