Hi

planetjanet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My name is Janet and I've just bought my first axolotl. He is white, a bit transparent and his name is Xipe Totec - Zippy to friends and family. (I use the word 'his' advisedly as I'm not really sure). He lives in a 24" tank at a temperature which varies slightly between 16 and 18c. He seems to have taken a few days to settle into his new home and I've yet to see him eat anything but since he doesn't look too thin and isn't dead yet I assume he's ok. Today is the first day he hasn't scuttled off to one of his hiding places as soon as I approach the tank. Having kept fish for may years it rather goes against the grain not to have filtration so I have put a very gentle filter into the tank which he seems to like to rest against - explain that one! Because it's a new tank I've been testing for amonia and nitrates fairly regularly, the amonia level has gone up today but not alarmingly, nitrates are fine, I will continue to monitor it but I think this is probably normal for a new tank. I clear out any uneaten food every couple of days and top up with rainwater of which there is a plentiful supply at the moment. I hope I'm doing everything ok and that my next posting won't be to tell you that he has floated to the surface.

Welcome Janet. It sounds like you're doing a good job. I would be a bit wary of using rain water because it will be lacking in dissolved mineral salts and since axolotls like hard water this is not a good thing. You'd be better off using tap water treated with water conditioner/dechlorinator.

Best wishes,

-John

Hi janet
Welcome!
Congrats on your axie!!

Hope to see some pics on here soon! :happy:

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back