Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cyclically pregnant!

Eileen MP

Reaction score
Good morning,
My FB newt (C.orientalis) appears to be constantly pregnant since November of last year. She'll lay one egg here and there. Most of them are eaten by the parents. We had up to 5 babies in one litter around January. Afterwards, just an egg here and there. I thought it was all over until I looked last week and saw another one!
I have also seen her lying sideways/upsidedown like she's about to lay more, but she doesn't end up leaving anything.
My concern is that she's already older, going on 15 years. I only have her and the Dad in the terrarium. And since both have been in the same environment for so long (since ~ 99), I'm reluctant to separate them.
Any words/advice? Too bad I can't teach her abstinence!

Eileen.

Jake

Reaction score
It's not bad for her to be laying eggs. She probably lays more than you find, but some get eaten.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn´t worry at all.
My female laid for 9 months last year and this one she laid from Septembre to late April(around 8 months)...and she looks very healthy indeed.
Just be glad that she lays for so long, i´d take it as a sign of her very good health.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I gather you're worried about the strain from laying eggs on her health. I wouldn't worry too much. If she's only laying a few eggs here and there, that doesn't take much energy to manufacture. If she were laying hundreds of eggs a week, that would be much more strenuous.

Eileen MP

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the words/guidance, it's comforting to know that this isn't abnormal!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1