Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Male newt's Papillae out often

keithp

Reaction score
I was just reading how male chinese firebellies Papillae stick out in the breeding season, but my male has these out quite often, and it can be any time of the year. Is this ok?

pic of newt Papillae
papillae.jpg

Jake

Reaction score
I'd take that as a sign of a true blessing! You're male newt is so healthy that he's ready to mate any time of the year!

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your newt a Chinese firebelly (for sure)? I think that frequently showing papillae is more common for paddletail newts. I agree that it's not a cause for concern.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m not sure he implied the animal is a chinese firebelly too. Anyway it´s obviously a Cynops ensicauda.
I agree with Jake, i´d say it´s a good sign that the animal is healthy and well-fed(otherwise he probably couldn´t keep up with the energy-consuming breeding).

keithp

Reaction score
My newt is a Chinese Firebelly, not a Paddletail, that picture is not of my newt (sorry I confused everyone), it was just used for an example.

This is my guy.
mostphotogenicpetphotocontest_carol_keithp_29dbfeb6de6447d_740.jpg

keithp

Reaction score
Couldn't edit my older post, but I was just reading on this site about the courtship behavior of this species, and I just found out that i've been witnessing him doing "tail fanning" for years now! It looks like he is doing a little dance it's pretty cute. :)

Vakuoli

Reaction score
We have two chinese firebelly newts, the other has turned terrestrial in his/her old age, but the other is still in the water and as the original poster's newt grows papillae on an off at all possible times of the year. Sometimes a few weeks go without him having them, sometimes it's only a few days until they appear again.

I thank you who have replied to this thread. We've been concerned at times about the papillae, thinking whether or not it's a sign of everything not being ok with him. I thank you for putting my mind at rest. Tau, the papillae carrying newt, however is not very restful since growing the papillae makes him march rather frantically around in search for pretty girls who sadly are nowhere to be had.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1