spermatophore question

Skyfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was checking in on our Axolotl tank and found this attached to a small rock in the tank.
It, I think, looks like a Spermatophore but without the white top I was unsure. They havn't been doing any "dancing" and no eggs were laid. This was also the only one I found.
Any Ideas??

Thanks!
Skyfall

Congrats!

You have a great picture of male axolotl reproductive stuff on your finger!:lol:

It looks to me as if the package has been delivered. You way want to prepare for an interesting experience in the near future if you have females present in this tank.

Last edited:
Thanks... lol :eek:

What's thrown me off so far was I only found 1 and no eggs yet... everything I've read says they lay in 2-48 hours, and it has been over 48 hours since I found the "package".

Do you know how long it takes to break down? I had taken it out and put it in a little tub with water to show my boss, for his opinion, and I checked it yesterday and it was gone. *sigh*

BTW...
I secretly have my fingers crossed for eggs. I've wanted a pet Axolotl since they came to our lab, and I can't take them :(...

Not sure on the degradation time of these. The extra ones my "super crazy breeder" male would leave often got eaten if they were not used for breeding. Looking through my notes, I have a record of one spermatophore gel base lasting six days @ 64F water temperature until I did my next tank cleaning.

I have had a female lay fertilized eggs as much as a month after breeding took place according to my notes from 2005.

One month later? wow...

Thanks for the great notes...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back