More indepth Genetics

Skyfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello All,
I was wondering if there was a page that went over the phenotypes a little more indepth than http://www.axolotl.org/genetics.htm

I have 3 Axololts in a tank and believe that there might have been some breeding going on... unforutnatly I don't know who is male and female and and am just trying to figure out possiblities... plus I am a HUGE genetics nerd... so punnet squares are my happy place :D

Also if anyone knows how to tell male from female better than what axolotl.org has shown, I'm still a bit confused on that as well.

Thanks!

Best advice I can give on in depth genetics (I rock the Punnet Square too!) is to Google "Axolotl Genetics". There is literally a metric tonne of scientific papers available on the web. Also the forums have a function that allows you to request papers you may not be able to access on your own.

As for telling males from females, it really is a matter of age. I feel that the older they are, the easier it is to tell. The males in particular have much larger tissue build up around the cloaca.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sexing.shtml

Younger animals can be a bit hard to discern. Look for darkened toe tips first. Axolotls that are sexually mature have "black" toe tips. Nex, examine those cloaca in detail. The CC articles show it pretty well. Males on the left, females on the right.

I think I've seen that page too on sexing...
Everytime I look in the tank I swear I can pick their genders, then I look again and... well it seems different everytime! lol

I'll just keep watching for eggs and hope I catch who is laying them!

The Ambystoma Genetic Stock Center has some genetics information of strains and common mutant alleles. As for sexing the axolotls, it think the sites listed provide a fairly good checklist for determining the sex. If you would like help, please post some photos, and I'm sure that you'll get some suggestions about what sex your animals are. Certainly, it is much easier to determine in older axolotls.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back