Disney Pixar's 2012 "Newt"

jbherpin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
JBear
I was so happy to see that this is going to be released, but it also concerns me that it will cause a boom in children wanting to own newts as pets. Which obviously brings pet shops a lot of money...not to mention a lot of wc animals into the market to satisfy the demand. All I can say is, I am excited to see the film, but I hope it doesn't have devastating effects on wild populations when demand soars!

Here are the links:

http://www.shakefire.com/pictures/movie/disneypixars-newt-logo

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/25/pixars-newt-gets-cars-2s-old-release-date/

-jbherpin-

This concerns me as well. I remember when Finding Nemo came out and every little kid wanted a clown fish. My aunt bought a salt water tank just for my little cousin.. it became infested with fire worms and the fish died.

I can't wait to see the movie though, the logo is cute.

I'm sorry, I didn't search for related threads. I saw it and thought I should make the point of concern. I still will see the movie, and I doubt that Disney Pixar made this film with the intention of putting a strain on any wild populations. In reality, everything done has a consequence that is either positive or negative. The positive is that kids (and me...) will probably love the movie, and it will bring a new generation of enthusiasts to the hobby. The negative is that these new enthusiasts will learn through pet shop buys(like myself), and the demand will be very high if the movie is a success. A goofy positive is...maybe they'll make some cool toys! LOL! Have you ever seen a toy newt?

-jbherpin-

Maybe one of the newt characters in the film will break the fourth wall and start lecturing the audience about the benefits of the captive breeding of caudates; you never know :p

Evidently, no one is going to see the movie. It has been canceled:
Pixar’s Newt Officially Canceled | /Film

The more I think about, the more I think I'm really glad they didn't make it. After every such movie, the demand for pets of the animal depicted goes way up. After Nemo, everyone was buying clownfish. After 101 Dalmations, the demand for dalmations went way up (with quick response from the puppy mills to crank out more of them). I wouldn't want to see that happen for newts, since most of the supply would come from WC/pet shop animals.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back