Question: A. Texanum care

mechanic380

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was clearing a rotting woodpile today when I came across a salamander. I have identified it as A. Texanum after a lot of internet browsing. Obviously I could be incorrect but I am fairly confident. I am writing to get an idea of the care necessary for these creatures. At the moment I have it in an aquarium with one inch of water and a large area on aquarium gravel for it to get out of the water. So far the salamander has spent almost all of its time submerged but right now is semi submerged with its head out of the water. I have read that they are a burrowing species and that rocks as a substrate are inapropriate. Is it aceptable to keep it in this enclosure with so much water. Obviously I will update it as needed but I need to know if it needs to be changed tommorow or if this is an acceptable environment short term. Also do you as a community find it acceptable to keep specimens that should be abundant where they were found?

Get rid of the water and just go with a dirt or cocofiber substrate and something for them to hide under. The only water they will need should be in a small dish.

Also do you as a community find it acceptable to keep specimens that should be abundant where they were found?
Provided it's not illegal where you live, you intend to keep the animals, it's not for commercial gain or trade, and you can provide the animal with the correct care, then I think it's acceptable.

Get rid of the water and just go with a dirt or cocofiber substrate and something for them to hide under. The only water they will need should be in a small dish.

I agree with GWH, I keep mine on a moist blend (50/50) of sphagnum thoroughly blended with organic topsoil. I use a hollow rock ornament from a pet shop as his hide. He had a dish of water, but never ventured in. In fact it ended up being a feeder insect graveyard more than anything. He loves small worms, and small crickets. Bear in mind this species is one of the more secretive and shy mole salamanders. It should be allowed to hide and not be disturbed too much.

Best of luck!

-jbherpin-

Ok I updated his enclosure today. I used exo-terra moss a small dish and a rock I had. He burrowed right in after only a minute. He is probably a lot happier now. I will introduce a small meal worm tommorow. I also took lots of pics while I was preparing his enclosure and I will post them soon. I read around some more about care and enclosures but still have some questions.
Is the moss I used alone appropriate? I found the spagham moss but not soil to mix with it. Also I just filled the enclosure with several inches of the material. Is there a better arrangement with maybe soil on the bottom then some moss. Finally for feeding a reclusive salamander what would be the best method? The small meal worms I got are alive and seem to move pretty well. So how should I introduce them in a way that he would be able to find them?
I am really enjoying this site. It is filled with knowledgeble people and this chance encounter has sparked my interest in these creatures. Thank you for your rapid responses It was just what I needed.

I took pictures when I changed the enclosure and I have included the best here. I am still unsure about feeding if you have any advice. Finally, I reviewed images in your gallery and am unsure of my identification. Please tell me what you think.

2009_0603emmascam0036.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0041.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0050.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0051.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0054.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0061.jpg

2009_0603emmascam0052.jpg

Either texanum or barbouri. No way to know unless you tell us where you live, roughly.

The animal was found in central Texas in an oak forest environment with many streams ponds and annual inundated areas.

Definitely Ambystoma texanum then.

I get my soil from Home Depot for very cheap. It is Scott's Brand strictly organic(no "inorganics" at all!) topsoil. Like I said, It is available in approx. 15lb bags for like $2. Your choice of meal worms may not be best. It may eat them, but they are fatty, and have a few non-digestable parts. Also an inactive salamander like Texanum may be bitten by a "lost meal". I would stick to small garden worms and small crickets. It has been a great feeder when offered these choices.

Here is a pic of mine...
http://www.caudata.org/forum/album.php?albumid=478&pictureid=5243

I hope I have helped you...

-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back