Hi from New Zealand

katepc

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi all,

My name is Kate and I've had axolotls for about seven years. Daisy was my first. My big leucistic lad is around 30cm now and came to me as a 5cm baby. Sparky is my fat little wildtype girl. She's about 4 I think and around 25 cm - one of my students brought her to school in an icecream container trying to find someone to give her away to :eek:.

Sparky spawned for the first time about a month ago and the babies are now around a week old. Hatching brine shrimp has been harder than it looks on the internet. Mother and babies are doing well. The sheer number of babies took me completely by surprise and I ended up euthenasing 160 fry to get down to manageable levels, after already giving 50 away. I've kept about 80.

I've relied heavily on the information from these forums and axolotl.org and would have lost Daisy many years ago and many times over without the invaluable advice you all have provided, not to mention the help with the recent population explosion.

I will try and post pics of my motley crew if they will co-operate long enough.

Welcome to the forum!

We're looking forward to seeing photos of your 'motley crew' ;).

Welcome aboard. Since joining myself, not too long ago, I learned one thing above all others, never underestimate the popularity of axolotls! It seems just about everyone has at least one. Before joining joing Caudata.org they were barely a blip on my radar screen. I had only seen them once for sale in a pet store, like three years ago. So I guess they are kind of like White's treefrogs in a way, just about everybody has one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back