Airstones: to use or not to use?

TomUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. this is my first post here on the forums :) I've been following the site for quite a few months now, before finally deciding I was ready to take on a pair of Axolotls for myself.

My main current problem is heating, and although I'm keeping this under control just about with Ice bottles, I'm doing all I can to maintain a cool and healthy tank.

One idea Is Airstones, good for oxygenating, attractive, and in some cases can coool your tank down. However my main problem with this is that the airflow may stress out my new housemates! I already have seen one glide into an airstream, and he/she looked rather paniced about it, being only a few months old, and appeared to have some trouble escaping, (apparantly swimming backwards is incredibly difficult for them). I have turned this off until further notice, or at least until they are abit bigger and can fight the flow.

Just wondered if anyone has any input on this, and also any other methods of cooling that don't involve spending too much money would be appreciated aswell, my freezer is getting rather full :)

Thankyou in advance, more on them as they unfold.

From Tom, United Kingdom.

Hey Tom

Yeah, don't pop them in your freezer :eek:...

You can direct a fan so it's cooling the top of the tank and wrap a damp towel round the tank during the day.

Or alternately, look at cooling the whole room the tank is in, by turning on AC or opening the window (but having the blinds down to block out the sunlight).

Zoe x

I use an air stone with my axolotl, it has a valve that regulates the air flow (the aquarium will stock these) .I have one axolotl that seems to enjoy sitting in the bubbles,while his tank mate tends to keep out of the way. As its been rather warm :)mad:) lately I have medium sized fan blowing across the top of the water. This tends to keep the tank below 19 degrees.

Hi Tom,

I use airstone with my axies as well. Like Julia, i turn it to a lower setting. The type of 'stone' also plays a part. Those with tiny fenestrations spread out over a length, such as an air 'wall' tends to create less water turbulence over those that produce huge bubbles.

Cheers.

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your help so far, I have a few old computer Fans knocking about with extended cords that I could connect up to my PC, I'll look into that :)

Also thanks for your advice on airstones. Rayson, my current setup involves one 'air wall' and one flat, round padded one giving a more constant flow. Many thanks to both you and Julia, I'll invest in an air valve soon :D

Thanks for everyones help. Just to let you all know, I'm planning on starting a diary sort of thing regarding my experiences with keeping the Axolotls safe and healthy. Anyone who wants to add any input on this feel free to PM me.
This won't begin for a few days yet, I have alot to do!

Thanks again for your help

Hi everyone.

Thanks for your help so far, I have a few old computer Fans knocking about with extended cords that I could connect up to my PC, I'll look into that :)

Also thanks for your advice on airstones. Rayson, my current setup involves one 'air wall' and one flat, round padded one giving a more constant flow. Many thanks to both you and Julia, I'll invest in an air valve soon :D

Thanks for everyones help. Just to let you all know, I'm planning on starting a diary sort of thing regarding my experiences with keeping the Axolotls safe and healthy. Anyone who wants to add any input on this feel free to PM me.
This won't begin for a few days yet, I have alot to do!

Thanks again for your help

Have a look over here: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59661

That is what i knocked up for my tank.
Simple, Cheap.

From 2 120mm fans i get a good flow of air out the back of the tank, and evapouration is also really high.

Remember to keep your tank topped up, as the use of fans will cause water to evapourate

I swear by airstones. Just like the other folks, I use a small valve to regulate the flow. I keep them "hidden" inside a ball of java moss.

I find tank water chemistry is easier to maintain stable with a stone in place.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back