Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: c ensicauda sick?

merk199

Reaction score
I have 6 C.ensicauda that I was looking at tonight. I noticed on 4 out of the 6 that there was whiteish specs on them some of them throughout the entire body and others more localized. If I had to guess I would say they were shedding? But I am unsure. I have moved and their enclosure temp went from 74 to 60 degrees. Not sure if that stressed them out or what. They all appear to be eating fine and have normal movements around the bin. Not sure what if anything I should be doing. I tried to get pics but the only camera I had was my cell phone. Not much help there. I will bring home my work camera tomorrow for pics. Any ideas or thoughts?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it possible that these are the normal whitish spots that ensicauda are supposed to have? Even the nominate subspecies can have tiny flecks. Google some pics if you don't know what I mean. Are these juveniles or adults?

Looking forward to photos. Are they eating and behaving normally otherwise?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just remembered... you have C. e. popei juveniles. I think this is probably just the development of their normal coloration.

merk199

Reaction score
Thanks Jen. I will get pics up tonight. They are eating and behaving fine.

Though on a side note while I was examining them all I decided that it may be time to seperate them out for size. Two are very plump, two seem normal and 2 seem a little on the thinner side. They don't look deathly thin, just thin. Paper towel enclosures here we come.

merk199

Reaction score
Here are the pics hopefully it is just the start of the adult colorations.....:confused: Sorry these are the best pics I could get....

100_0233.jpg

100_0234.jpg

100_0235.jpg

100_0236.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0242.jpg

merk199

Reaction score
Ok I have done as Jennewt suggested and googled pics. I have a feeling she may be right but I will wait till she and all the other experts weigh in.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1