Question: Tank Filter with Juvies

Zorak

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just gotten a couple new Axies today (my first two, at that), and have introduced them to the tank about an hour ago. I'm a bit worried if my Filter is perhaps too powerful for them/ creating too much suction. It's a relatively low flow rate one (Penguin BioWheel 100), recommended by others for Axolotls, though I wonder if that's more for adults. The tank is a ten gallon, and I have it situated in a back corner of the tank. The one has been sort of darting around, swimming all around the tank and into the walls, while the other has been more laying arround.

Am I over-reacting to just how they are acting with a new tank (getting used to it/ looking around), or should I turn off the filter for awhile or what?

Thanks!

Best filtration for larvae is a sponge filter in my opinion.

Anything else risks current related stress, or suction deaths.

The filter you have is fine for juveniles with 4 legs right on up to adults, as long as there are plenty of obstructions and plants to keep the current at a minimum.

I thought this filter would be fine too, but the one was pretty stressing out about it I THINK, though again, it may be them stressing over "traveling in a dark place for almost a day and being unleashed into a tank very different from what they were in before".

I might just turn it on later and see how it goes, or maybe get some rock and put it around the intake and filter through the rock.

Size wise the Juvies are about 3-4 inches long, not sure if that falls into Juvie or Larva. They have all four legs so I guess that makes them Juvies, actually; sorry, not very good at the terminology yet.

e: Gonna just turn off the filter, actually, and switch to Java moss + airstone. Probably better that way.

Have you cycled the tank with your axies in? Switching the filter on and off all the time will mess with your water chemistry. If you're going filter-less then make sure you keep an eye on the nitrates etc.

Hi Zorak,

Having a filter is not essential, there is a very experienced and knowledgable breeder and keeper who has never used filters on any of their tanks and has had excellent success.

However no filter means extra vigilence with the water chemistry and will likely slow the cycle process down. I would leave the filter on and if you are worried make or purchase a better guard for the intake. Alot of the beneficial bacteria are in the filter, so switching it off may eliminate them and start a new cycling process.

If you are not going to use a filter you will need to be doing regular 20-30% water changes and regular water tests otherwise you may get a build up of unwanted chemicals as already mentioned.

Good Luck

I do water tests every few days as is (I'm quite paranoid about that) so water conditions isn't a huge issue. The person I bought from the Axies said that, at least when they're juvies, using Java Moss + airstone combination early on is what he personally recommended. I am going to watch the water, obviously, and will switch to the filter when the Axies are a bit bigger and I know they won't be bothered by the current. The one was sort of fighting against it, and besides, right now I'm keeping some daphnia in the tank, and getting them all sucked up would be a bit of a waste.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back