Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Noobie question

Chronic2772

Reaction score
Im new to the site and just trying to learn as much about Axolotls as i can before i end up getting one. When people talk about the different colors like albino or wild(i guess meaning the non-albino) is the behavior the same in both types?

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Chronic,

Wildtype axolotls are frequently observed and reported (even in research lab setting) to be more aggressive and tenacious compared to their non-wildtype counterparts. Curiously, they also preferentially target non-wildtype axies.

Albinos (golden/axanthic/white) with pink eyes, because of their lack of pigmentation, are more sensitive to light. As such, they may hide in caves/pipes etc more than the wildtypes, not really because of a behavioural trait but rather due to the heightened sensitivity to light exposure to their eyes. A dim light source or short periods of limited light exposure will significantly reduce this.

Please do not be put off by wildtypes though. The majority of them make excellent pets and are sweet natured.

Cheers.

Chronic2772

Reaction score
thanks a lot. I was all for an albino but now the dark ones are growing on me

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I have to agree with Rayson on this one. The wild types act much more like little predators than their paler brethren in my experience. I have also seen the leucistics behave similarly.

I just kept them separate and laughed myself silly while they hunted homegrown guppies.

Wild types and non-speckled leucistics are my personal favorites. I feel they exhibit a bit more personality. Don't get me wrong though, our albino girls are treated like royalty by my wife an daughter too! (They just aren't too bright...){The girls I mean, not the albinos...;)}

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
I find Wildtypes to have alot more character than other colours. Thats only in my experience of keeping leucistics and wildtypes. I had a lovely female who died about a year and a half ago called Gretchen and she always swam to the front of the tank to see me and always loved getting her picture taken!

Now I have a wildtype, leucistic and a golden albino. The wildtype (Cleveland) is very interactive but the leucistic (Tobias) is always hiding and doesnt like to come out much at all. My golden albino (Marmaduke) seems to be quite active and loves coming to the front of the tank to see me, but he is still a juvenile so will have to wait and see if he is still like this when he is an adult. (I say 'he' but i still dont know what sex it is so could be a 'her')

Claire

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1