What's wrong with my axie?

ajbriggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Briggsy
Hi,

I know the title sounds a bit strange but recently as posted before my axie has a strange growth on it's under belly I'm still trying to find a vet who can explain the growth or how to heal it... However, my axie has started acting very strangely recently.

Recently where I live the temperature has been extremly high for some unknown reason so I have decided to move my axie downstairs where it is cooler I also used a bottle of ice to cool the tank water down even more. This seems to have worked as the temperature is constantly around 16 to 22 degrees celsius at vary stages throughout the day.

However, it seems to be acting very strange... in my tank the base is lined with sand, however over the last few days since i have moved it downstairs it seems to be almost digging and shifting the sand out of one corner of the tank so it can see the clear base. it has also done this at either side of a little tunnel ornament I have given it to hide under.

Yet another new thing it has started to do is climb up the side of the tank or other tank ornaments and tried to get as close as possible to the level of the water or even above the water. I really dont know what is happening or what I can do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alex

Could you post a pic of your axie?

Mel

Some pictures of the axie and sum of where he has scratched up loads of the sand.

:)

axie.jpg

axie2.jpg

axie3.jpg

axie4.jpg

axie5.jpg

It sounds like its trying to escape.

Have you done any water tests?

I have jus done tests for: NO2, NO3, NH3, NH4 and PH, everything is fine if not perfect. The temperature is at 21/22 degrees celcius.

Any other ideas, he is currently moving more sand from a corner.

help

What are you feeding your axolotl?.....if its live food it may have hidden itself in the sand.

No just standard adult salmon pellets....

How many should I be feeding him a day?

Hi it sounds like he might be stressing i have a couple of Axies and usually when they are acting strange and there is no obvious reason i just throw them in the fridge for a couple days and their stress goes away this works really well for me so maybe you want to give that a try.

doesn't really seem like abnormal behavior to me . Maybe he's just hungry and looking for food, possibly smells some remnants in sand and starts digging, How many pellets are you feeding him and how often ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back