Adult Axolotl Feeding

ajbriggs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Briggsy
Hi,

I've been feeding salmon pellets to my axolotl. He seems to love them... however, he always seems hungry waiting for me to feed him again and again.

How many should I feed him a day and at what times of the day are best?

Thanks alot any help would be great.

Hi Briggsy,

I feed mine the salmon pellets too and they absolutely love them. I usually drop a few in the tank (around 8-10 near each axie) and remove what they havent ate within 30mins or so.

It depends on size/age as to how many you feed and how often you feed. My oldest in my main tank get fed every 2-3 days (they are almost 8inches in length) but my little one which is around 4inches gets a cube of bloodworm every day and i remove whatever he hasn't eaten with 30mins.

How big is your axie at the moment?

It doesnt really matter when you feed your axies, but myself and alot of other owners tend to feed on an evening and some people feed early on a morning. This is when they are most active.

Claire

Axolotls like many other species are absolute pigs....they´ll eat until they become an amphibian ball of fat if given the chance. Just feed them enough to be healthy. Overfeeding causes problems, so avoid it.
Also, you should really think about variying your axolotl´s diet. Pellets are good, depending on the source they might be just ok or very good, but it´s always best to offer variety.
Earthworms, slugs, bloodworms, even small fish every once in a while, are excelent parts of a healthy diet.

So I should feed him every 2 to 3 days? 8 to 10 of em??? whoops I've been feeding him like 6 a day at 6 at night is that way too much then????

Where can I get healthy supplies of Earthworms, slugs, bloodworms and small fish??

It totally depends on the age of your axie. Just put a few in and whatever he doesnt eat within 15-30mins just take out. I just leave mine in for 30mins cause my axies are stupid and take ages to sniff them out haha. Otherwise they would starve. But they usually only eat around 3-5 5mm pellet.

If you have a garden you can dig out your own earthworms but many pet shops or bait shops sell tubs of them. Just be sure no pesticides have been used on the soil they are in. You can also cut them to size if they are too big for your axies mouth. I get a couple of worms out my garden and give them around 2-3 3/4inch each. They hunt them down easily too when you drop them in the tank cause they wriggle about.

You can get frozen bloodworm from pretty much every pet shop. Pets at home do them but are more expensive than the smaller pet shop. Just let the cube defrost before giving to them as it can cause internal problems if not thawed properly.

Claire

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back