Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How much should we feed our juvenile japanese firebellies?

evut

Reaction score
Hi, please read on ... I'm trying to give detailed description of everything and will be very gratefull if you could let me know if there's something wrong with what we're doing.

We have 4 cynops pyrrhogaster (captive bred), one slightly bigger (6 cm total lenght) and the rest have about 5 or 5.5cm. (My previous post with some pictures: http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61790)

They all seem to be doing very well. They are spending more time outside their coconut hut now and seem to have learnt to associate us with food (there is definite interest when we open the box).

We have been giving them chopped earthworms and halved small crickets - maybe 2 crickets per newt per day or 2 - 3 small bits of earthworm.

Their appetite really improved so now we worry about overfeeding them. We are not sure how much they should be getting - after some time feeding them like this each day they started to look really chubby (the trunk appears kind of pear-shaped). We have skipped a couple of days (not in a row) and after that they seemed really hungry. They actually tore the food from the tongs! We are pleased they have a good appetite but want to make sure they don't suffer from eating too much.
How often and how much should we feed them? We have been giving them everything with tongs so we could make sure all of them eat and we know how much they've taken.

They wouldn't take dried flies (Zoo med's Anole food) and defrosted blood worms are a nightmare to feed because the newts are still more terrestrial than aquatic and they didn't seem that interested anyway. Also, the lesser waxworms we got with the newts can't be bought anywhere so we are currently stuck with the crickets and earhworms. Hope that's ok.

Thanks for your help! :happy:
Eva

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just feed them enough to allow them maintain a bit of that pear shape. If you over feed them you´ll notice because they´ll get REALLY fat...just avoid that.
Dried flyes sound like a bad choice...there are better options for you.
With enough patience you can get them to eat bloodworms. Mine now eat them from a paper towel...all by themselves.
You can find Achroia(lesserwaxworms) in some online shops, if you want, drop me a private message and i´ll give you the name of one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1