Trouble Swimming

TomUK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have had cloak and dagger for 4 days now, and I think I am seeing some changes in their behaviour. I do recall them being a little more active, I would often see them swimming up to the top for air, which I have been told is normal. But now I don't see this happen as often.

But my main worry is their movement. As Juvies, they are only just getting their limbs, Cloak is infact still missing his rear right one, possible attack before I got him? (the owner did say that she kept them together, despite the notorious cannabalism) anyway it does appear like he's trying to move somewhere, but instead just flails his arms about, and his stomache lies on the floor of the tank. It does however seem that they can move when they really want to, I have tried just a gentle brush with a stick, I know this isn't the best, but by no means harmful if done only once, and they are fine to casually swim away then.
I also notice them heading into corners, and then having what appears to be great difficulty escaping them, contantly trying to push on forward.

Tank temperature may be a little high aswell. 20 degrees C (68 degrees F I believe) I'm trying to cool this with Ice bottles, but have noticed alot of drastic changes, and I think I would rather leave them at 20 than have a constantly changing environment.

In short, there is alot of movement, but it does seem to trouble them at times. any thoughts?

Thankyou.

Hi Tom,

I think that sounds pretty normal. Even as adults, some axies still try to push into a corner thinking that it will miraculously open up a grand entrance/exit for them. Its just their way of 'foraging' and squeezing into tiny spaces (like caves) to find solace. The young ones will also be more active. This is normal.

Temperature wise, 20 degrees is on the upper limit of acceptable. I agree that stability is important and fluctuations can do more harm than good. On a plus side, larvae seem to be able to tolerate slightly warmer temperatures compared to adults.

Cheers.

Hi Rayson

Thanks for your help, good to know my Axies are just as insane as everyone elses :D
you've been a big help to me so far, hopefully one day I can return the favour.

Hi Tom,

I think that sounds pretty normal. Even as adults, some axies still try to push into a corner thinking that it will miraculously open up a grand entrance/exit for them. Its just their way of 'foraging' and squeezing into tiny spaces (like caves) to find solace. The young ones will also be more active. This is normal.

Temperature wise, 20 degrees is on the upper limit of acceptable. I agree that stability is important and fluctuations can do more harm than good. On a plus side, larvae seem to be able to tolerate slightly warmer temperatures compared to adults.

Cheers.

Higher temperature can also yeild quicker grow in larvae.
As My garage is also confirming, a freezing Melbounre night.

Ray, the way you describe then bumping into walls really sets my heart at ease, I think Bubblez is just got alot more active, when she is hungry.
Tom do you have any pics of your tank????

Aaron

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back