Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Yet another floating axolotl!

I recently bought a couple more axolotls; all are healthy and fat, but one stands out - he floats. I've not yet seen him sink or sit on the bottom.

His gills (from what I can tell as one is regrowing) are normal, not curling forwards, and his tail isn't curled either. He also has a healthy appetite and defecates normally, and for the past few days I've tried stuffing him up on food, hoping that it would force out any potential air bubbles in there. I've also tried lowering the water level so he can touch the floor, and heightening it, as it was humid here a few days back and I thought the extra heat may be causing problems in his tank.

He is currently having 100% water changes every day like all the other axolotls, housed alone, and is roughly 3 and a half inches long.

I can also attach photos if this will be of any help.

Many thanks in advance.

pinkangel729

Reaction score
I think it's just a thing some axies do, I know mine like to float around the tank, but they are otherwise fit and well (apart from my poor lil fella whose missing his back legs) but as far as I was aware it's quite natural for them to do so. I'm sure he does go on the bottom, just when you're not looking!

I've noticed as the axies get bigger they do it less as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Well I'm pretty certain he hasn't sank as he isn't able to vacumn up the bloodworms that drop to the floor like the other axies do.
Here's a video of him floating around.

One piece of information I forgot to add - he also has one forearm missing, whether this has any part in it.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tanzaniterose,

Have you checked the water parameters - ammonia, nitrites, nitrates)? What is the water temperature? Are there huge temperature fluctuations throughout the day?

Cheers.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Tanzaniterose,

I would suggest bringing the water level right down (just enough water to cover his back) so he can touch the floor. If the axolotl is unable to touch the ground, this exacerbates the stress.

To your knowledge has the axolotl ever been on a gravel substrate?

To help him destress (and clear any possible obstruction or constipation) it may be beneficial to fridge the axolotl for a few days.

Please keep us posted.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Hi, there are no huge fluctations in temperature during the daytime and the house is cool 24/7, the temp is usually between 65-68 degrees, but as I said it's fairly constant and doesn't fluctuate. When I mix the water Nitrite and nitrate should be minimal as I change the water every day, but as I said in the original post I change the water 100% daily and all of my axolotls are in the same batch of water, and yet this one is the only one displaying any unusual behaviour.

Jacqie, he has to my knowledge never been on gravel but he's defecating with no problem (you can see a large dropping in the tub on the video as well as a little trailing from his backside!) so I don't think there is any constipation or impaction going on. He has a voracious appetite while I would expect an impacted or constipated axie to avoid eating.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi again,

I was wondering if you have tested the water parameters of the tap water source directly before? Sometimes some places just have higher nitrogenous content in the water supply, or they might have added chloramines etc. Do you use a good dechlorinator with your water changes?

A 100% water change is actually rather drastic. This normally causes a huge difference in terms of both water chemistry as well as temperature. A milder but more frequent water change, 20% each time might be more stable.

Your axie apart from the floating, don't appear to be too stressed or ill otherwise. I would go along with the fridging (with water just to cover back) to see if it helps.

What is the axie's usual diet?

Cheers.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Hi again Rayson,

I do use a de-chlorinator, I have not tested the water from the tap but I use enough to break up any potential chloromines. I do also harden the water, in case that's your next query!

I really do not think it is the water - as I said, I have five other axolotls all in the same batches of water as the floating axie and none display any of these unusual behaviours, illness or stress. The fact that he seems fit and healthy despite floating has made me wonder whether it lies in his swimbladder, and if it is functioning properly.

I've been following the cleaning and water methods of the Indiana University Axolotl Colony - http://www.ambystoma.org/AGSC/guide.htm -

We change young animals' water daily, and adult animals' water at least every other day. Frequent changes prevent the buildup of ammonia and other metabolic wastes and keep a large population of bacteria from getting established.

-and because the water I mix sits in the same room as the axolotls before use, the temperature difference of the new batch and the axolotl's current water should only be minimal.

I am very hesitant to fridge him just yet as I do not want to shock or stress him more than is necessary; if he continues to float, I will attempt fridging, but at the moment as he is healthy and happy, I cannot see what it is supposed to "cure". However, I will lower his water levels so that he is able to touch the floor and watch his behaviour from there.

They all currently eat soft trout pellets (whenever they stop spitting them at me that is), frozen bloodworm and earthworms.

Thanks again.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware axolotls don't have swim bladders.

Also the fridging process wouldn't stress him out as they relax much more in the fridge. But I see your point, if he isn't stressed, suffering from impaction or ill in any other way it doesn't really seem that necessary. It appears that your water is quite cool anyway, I think just lowering the water as you said might help him and basically just keep an eye on him in case any other signs develop (which I'm sure you're doing anyway!) Good luck with it all, Kerry.

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Kerry is right,

Axolotls don't have swim bladders. I agree that lowering the water level should help.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Ah many thanks, I wasn't sure whether they had one or not. He sort of floats angled on one side sometimes which is why I thought they did!

I'll keep him in lower water level for a few days and see if he starts crawling around rather than swimming. I'll be sure to update. :happy:

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Tanzaniterose,

Axolotls do not have swim bladders. Many pet shops misinform customers. I have even seen the wrong information printed on newsletters and websites. Locally, because axolotls are called the mexican walking fish, people sometimes associate them with fish rather than caudates. Having dissected a few for pathology before, i can guarantee they don't have one.

Axolotls keep their balance by a series of sensory adaptations and neurological coordination. Although they don't have eardrums per se, they do have a complex inner ear system (vestibular) that maintains their equilibrium. They also have a lateral line system which comprise of mechano and electroreceptors (neuromasts and ampullary organs). This allows them to monitor and detect water movement and hence coordinate their movements and proprioception. The brain itself initiates and coordinates the movements and balance.

Axies that swim lopsided or in an uncoordinated fashion can be due to neurological problems, certain malnutrition or a musculoskeletal problem. Some illnesses like gas bubble disease for example can also cause the incoordination due to the added buoyancy of the accumulated gases.

I have no doubt the Indiana University Axolotl Colony provides invaluable information and are an authority in this field. However, in my opinion, a lot of the husbandry methods tend to cater to animals kept in a laboratory setting - 1 animal per small basin type situation whereby daily 100% water changes are more practical and feasible both in terms of management and manpower. For the hobbyist keeping the axie in an aquarium tank, a regular 20% water change is much more beneficial. The reason being that in a lab setting, they are not relying on the cycling process to remove nitrogenous wastes products (its similar to fridging axie in container). You perform daily water changes in situations where the axies are kept in containers or basins with comparatively smaller volume of water, temporarily in most cases. For aquarium tanks, with filters, aeration, substrate and works, the stability is attained from a well established cycling process (which means you rely on the bacteria). A 100% water change in this situation is an overkill and can be more harmful and useful.

Cheers.

Jye

Muted for unacceptable behaviour
Reaction score
He has got gas built up in his body from to much food. Stop feeding him for 5 days, give or take a day or 2 and he should go back down. This happens to mine after a big feed sometimes.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
He has got gas built up in his body from to much food. Stop feeding him for 5 days, give or take a day or 2 and he should go back down. This happens to mine after a big feed sometimes.

Hi Jye, I wondered if this was a possibility as I don't think he was given this much to eat in the breeder's home (I presume it was a free-for-all with all of the babies). I'm worried about stopping feeding for a few days though as he's still only young and should be regenerating his gill and leg. Would this be counter-productive or dangerous to his health, or could it be worthwhile to try it?

Hi again Rayson, I weighed up both methods of raising young axies, and to be honest, I ended up following the lab method because I was worried that because the tiny juveniles ate so much and defecated a lot too, that the filter wouldn’t be able to cope with the fluctuating, and often high bioload in the small temporary container, with three feeds per day.
I know I can test regularly for nitrates/nitrates, but I was fearful of placing them in this situation, so I opted for making up a large batch of water, hopefully with ideal parameters for fast growth. This water is then used in the smaller containers over a several day period as I have several juvenile axies. The others in this group are all thriving and growing at a very fast pace.
You perform daily water changes ini situations where the axies are kept in containers or basins with comparatively smaller volume of water, temporarily in most cases. ...

Yes this is a case in question where I thought a separate temporary accommodation would be appropriate. He's a very young juvenile and is being kept in a smaller basin so that he can be hand fed , and hopefully recover from his injuries. Also I can monitor him on a very regular basis.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Just an update, he ended up fasting for two days anyway as I left for a few days. Returned today and he's still floating; ate like a starved trooper as soon as food was offered and still seems happy as ever, if a little lop-sided. I think a neurological problem may be the most likely cause.

Tanzaniterose

Reaction score
Hi,

Just an update to finalise this thread, I changed the axie's water today and was completely flabbergasted to see he's finally "de-floated" himself. There's been no apparant reason for this, nor did I ever see any reason behind the floating (although both his gill and leg have almost fully regrown), but I'm relieved and happy to finally have another normal axolotl!

I've attached photos of the little nuisance. :eek:

(Also, I've ended up naming him Buoy, for the obvious reasons, although he was called Ruprecht on a number of occasions!)

Attachments

• DSCF2890.jpg
    DSCF2890.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF2896.jpg
    DSCF2896.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 167

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Tanzaniterose,

Great and very apt name. I am glad to hear everything has sorted itself out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1