Will my legless Axie be okay?

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 inch axie and he was in with my bigger axie Pebbles, when I got him he had one leg missing but I have just noticed the other has now been chewed off also!

It looks fine and not infected but I'm just a bit worried. Will he be okay with just his two legs and how long does the healing and regrowth usually take? He was in with the bigger axie but I have seperated them until he gets a little bigger. So it's just him and his smaller companion.

Just need some advice and reassurance really.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it can't be good that one of your axies eats off the other, try fixing that in some way.
About regrowth: I had my two axies together with my fishes at first (stupid) and a rainbowshark finally started to eat off their gills and off one of my axies legs. The bone got exposed on the leg and when I bought a new tank it took like 3 days until he "droped" his damaged leg.

It was "cut" halfway up and now, three months later its grown back to its orginal length but still missing the foot. I am however seeing signs of a foot coming back now, the foot got a few bumps which I think will evolve to toes.

Hi Pinkangel,

I would advise you house the axies separately. From the sounds of it, the size disparity between them can cause cannibalism and aggression.

Most importantly, keep the water quality and temperature optimum. Have the water parameters checked regularly (0 ammonia, nitrites and <60 nitrates) and ensure the water temperature stays stable in the optimal range (16-18 degree celsius). This would greatly reduce the chances of a secondary fungal or bacterial infection.

Good nutrition will also be essential for good health and recovery. Provide a variety of nutritious food types such as bloodworms, blackworms, earthworms and pellets.

With water parameters and nutrition in check, your axie will do just fine and would gradually regenerate the lost limbs. You can normally see signs of regeneration as early as 2 to 3 weeks. For the entire limb to regrow back, it would take months.

Cheers.

I agree with Rayson,

If you have them seperated and keep a close eye on the wound site for infection it should in true axolotl style regrow the limb.

Thanks for the advice, Bam Bam and Pebbles were seperated as soon as I noticed the second limb missing, so now Wilma and Bam Bam (the two babies) are in one half of the tank and naughty Pebbles is in the other on her own!

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back