Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Need ID and info

warmstr

Reaction score
hi
I've just got a group of 4 newts from a friend, and i have some questions:
1. I was told these are warty newts but i could really use the sci name.
2. how can i sec them? I believe that these are all females - no crests...
3. can you direct me to a specific care sheet? i would like to make them a new habitate and i need to know what they preffer - aqua\semi\terra.

here are some pics

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

a462b55b.jpg

thank you

oregon newt

Reaction score
I don't know what specific type of Paramesotriton they are, but waty newts generally have the same type of care as paddle tail newts, I believe. You can find a care sheet for paddle tail newts on Caudata Culture.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´d say Paramesotriton chinensis...but the species are not always easy to define.
There´s no specific caresheet for Paramesotriton, but you can find loads of information inside the forum, so just use the "search" function...you should be able to find what you need. Any doubts left, just ask :)

About sexing...this genus has no crest at all, so you can´t judge their sex by that. You can tell by their cloacas, but since they are terrestrial their secondary sexual characteristics might be hard to distinguish. try to post pics of each of their cloacas, maybe we can help.
By the way, this is a very aquatic genus, so you might want to provide them with a looooot of water.

warmstr

Reaction score
thank you for the quick response.
i'll post the pictures later, hopefully you;ll be able to help me sex them.

i got them with the terrarium they lived in for the last year and a half.
it's a terrastrial setup with a small pond, but so far i havent seen them enter the pond even once...

here is how it looks like

3.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Looks good, but these really are aquatic newts. In fact, in captivity, a healthy individual may never go out of water.
I really recomend you change them to an aquarium.They may take a while to get fully aquatic but once they do they won´t go out, and everything will be easier...specially feeding.

If they don´t use the small water dish is probably because it´s simply too little water. Small volumes of water become unhealthy quickly...you need a big volume(the bigger the better) to ensure water quality and stability. And since newts can detect water quality, they refuse to enter water masses that are not suitable.

There are several interesting and informative articles at Caudata Culture, i recomend you take a look and learn about aquarium cycling, etc(in case you don´t already know).

newtboy

Reaction score
i think it a Paramesotriton chinensis or chinese warty newt the pet store has some but its labeled as large fire belly newt

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you put some sort of cover or hide over the water dish, they would go there. They avoid it because they are seeking shelter more avidly than they are seeking water. I agree with Azhael - these are normally aquatic newts, and will live in water if they have a chance.

will_j

Salamandra Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make sure that you give them the option of a land area when you move them into the aquatic setup as they might take some time to adjust to the new environment.

warmstr

Reaction score
tnanks for all the responeses.
I'm currently working on a new encloser for them.
pics are coming your way as sonn as it's finished

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1