New axolotl owner!

Starfreak7

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone-

I'm very excited to be the new mommie to an axolotl. I've been researching them for months and I finally found someone in my area who is selling them. I have what I'm pretty sure is a boy axolotl. He was born Feb 25th, 2008. He is adorable and has already brought me a lot of joy.

I live in Washington in a town right outside of Seattle. I've had some challenges with the water tempature as it has been pretty hot around here this last week. Honestly, I think I've been more stressed out about making his living conditions as good as possible than he has with all the changes.

Currently, I have a 20 gallon tank with sand at the bottom. The sand I got was supposed to be sugar-fine, but I found a bunch of small pieces of shells and coral in it which I had to filter out. I have a good cave for him and some rocks and colorful jewels big enough not to fit in his mouth. I am filtering his water with a Fluval U3 filter.

Does anyone have any tips for a new owner who is stressed about making the conditions perfect for him?

Hi Starfreak, welcome to the site

Best advice I can give is keep coming back and ask lots of questions

You stated it's been hot there.
In those cases i would just keep monitoring the enclosure's temperatures.
If it gets too hot you can always add ice to bring the temps down or look into getting a chiller for your tank.
But as it stands now it sounds like he has a good home.

Welcome to the site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey,
Glad to see you here!
You are doing a great job. Take a deep breath and enjoy him :) Lotti sends her love...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back