Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A new guy with a new axie

Seizan

Reaction score
I went and picked up a juvenile axolotl today, roughly around 3 inches (7.62 cm) long, and a beautiful golden albino. I am currently keeping it fridged while I have my tank finish cycling and to allow it to destress. I am feeding it some tubifex which I clean before feeding, and some nightcrawlers soon. How often should I change the water in the container I am keeping the little guy (gal?)? Once a day or every other day with dechlorinated water?

As a side note, I am planning on naming it Quixtonbury :)

ianclick

Reaction score
Hi Seizan,

You need to do daily water changes whilst it is in the fridge.

Good luck

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Seizan,

It is great you are cycling your tank, fridging your axie and researching about axie care. While waiting for the earthworms to arrive, i recommend you feed live blackworms instead of tubifex. In terns of nutritional composition it is more wholesome. Furthermore blackworms are harvested in much cleaner conditions in general compared to tubifex.

Cheers.

Seizan

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the advice so far, the axolotl isn't looking too good. It's tail is starting to curl a little, and I am unsure what to do exactly. I suspect it wasn't cared for very well before I got it. I fed it earlier, and attempted to feed a little more (saw some advice about feeding a little a few times over the day) but it seems very lethargic. Shall I continue to just fridge it or place it in the tank and just do 15% water changes? I also picked up the nightcrawlers, so proper feeding can be done now.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Seizan,

It would be better to fridge the axie for two weeks while waiting for your main tank to be ready.

Cheers

Lacey

Reaction score
Hi Seizan,

It is best to keep him/her in the fridge untill your tank is ready. As for the tail curling, that does mean he/she is stressed, I am not quite sure why though. Sorry. Hope everything is going well. Good luck!

Seizan

Reaction score
For an update, the little guy seems to be doing better. I cut up a few pieces off of a earthworm for him to eat, since the worm was just as big as he was (the cut up pieces were about as big as his head, he loved it) So far he has seem fairly lazy and hasn't reacted to me at all, hopefully it won't be long before he warms up

Seizan

Reaction score
So as of last night, with the continued fridging, my axolotl refused to eat. Is there a possibility something could be wrong or should I continue attempting to feed him in the mornings and nights until he decides to try to eat again? I've been using earthworms, so this might be part of the issue. When I first fed him the little pieces of earthworm, he seemed rather eager to gobble them up, but now he just swims away from me and ignores any earthworm. I've also tried leaving a piece in front of him for about half an hour and he continued to ignore it. Is it simply a matter of his metabolism being down from the fridging, or should I start looking for any other clues for possible ailments?

b00f

Reaction score
His metabolic rate has slowed, its a normal sign during fridging.

Axolotls can live for months without eating.

Seizan

Reaction score
Added a few pictures to my albums, for those curious to see the little guy. Still hasn't eaten since Sunday

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1