Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.Orientalis husbandry's substrate

vistajpdf

Reaction score
What is the best substrate for the tank? I've looked at the pics here at the site and some seem to use gravel, some use large rocks with bare areas inbetween, and others use sand. I really worry about impaction and strained out all small pieces of the gravel, but I still am concerned. I think I'd worry more with sand. Obviously, I currently use gravel, but have issues with the live white and blackworms having too many areas to disappear into. I've recently began using the live foods since the larvae appeared and since learning more here. Before, I fed the adults frozen and thawed bloodworms. I eliminated the slope of gravel to give a land mass in lieu of turtle docks as I was concerned about pockets of bacteria. So, I'm at a loss as to where to head. Any suggestions? I did check out slate at one store but wasn't sure if it would change the water chemistry and how to use it in my small tanks ( two each: 10 gal. and 5 gal.)

Thanks,
Dana

Nathan050793

Reaction score
If you are really worried about impaction/other substrate related issues then it may be best for you to go for a bare-bottom tank. It provides for easier cleaning and less hassle, however it isn't very attractive. This is probably the best to go with for larvae.
Personally, I use sand (for adults). It's small enough that it can pass through a newt's digestive system without problems and is much easier to keep clean than gravel.

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Thanks, Nathan. I do use bare bottoms for the larvae tanks (4 at the moment) so I am more concerned about the parents' tank which is 10 Gal, and divided now (in an attempt to stop egg-laying!) What kind of sand do you use? I have reptile sand for a Leopard Gecko, but again,, worried about impaction, changed him over to paper towels which don't concern me but are more unattractive.

For the adults, I was thinking about some aquarium slate stacked, so not all of the bottom of the tank is bare - just want to be sure it doesn't mess with the water's chemistry.

Dana

Nathan050793

Reaction score
You can use slate as a substrate, however, you'll have to make sure that you cut it to the correct dimensions so that it fits nicely across the bottom of the tank, otherwise crud will accumulate underneath it.

If you go for sand, don't use reptile sand, as it often contains calcium, etc. which can mess with the water chemistry. Personally, I use pool filter sand, as it's less dusty and more fine than the alternative, basic children's play sand.

Good Luck!

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
When I used substrates for adults, I used polished river rock, the kind you can get in big bags at the craft shops. They are big enough the axies cannot ingest them and smooth and polished. truthfully though, I have long since quit using any substrate. I found that between anaerobic problems with sand, and problematic siphoning with large substrates, a blank tank was best for everyone involved.

If you do want to use a sand substrate, (which if perfectly fine!), just about any silica based sand will work, from the super cheap bulk play sand, to the somewhat pricier aquarium sand at pet stores.

Two things to keep in mind with sand:
Do not make it any deeper than one inch to prevent anaerobic decomposition issues (black sludge and gas bubbles).

Make sure it is silica and not aragonite, "natural" calcium or crushed coral and is approved for freshwater aquatic use.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1