Bloated Blackie... please help! :-(

ReneeS

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi,
I have a sick axie :-( he is really bloated in his stomach and head area... What can I do to make him better? I have just taken him out of the tank away from the others and have fridged him.... What is wrong with him?! Why is he bloated? I have been feeding my axies beef heart and before that I was feeding them chicken liver... I have had Blackie for about 18 months and this has been his diet....

Is anyone a vet or know a vet that deals with axies in the sutherland shire area in sydney nsw? :-(I really don't want him to die :-(

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 340
  • pic 2.JPG
    pic 2.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 318
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    15.8 KB · Views: 299
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi!

I don't know if that is a satisfactory 'staple diet'. I would recommend Axolotl pellets and blackworms, the above should (I think) only be used as an occasional TREAT. This may be why the axie is not receiving the correct minerals to aid his wellbeing.

Are you 100% sure he - isn't a she?
...although I would review the diet; my females get around this size before they lay.

Ok. But he has not eaten for a few days now.... what do I need to do to make him better so I can get him to eat proper foods?.... These are the foods that I have been told to use by the aquarium when I have bought axies... I never knew that these foods would be such a problem... :-(

Do females axies go off their food before they are about to lay? How do I know if it is a girl? How do I know if it is carrying eggs or not? I have put her/him/it in the fridge, should I take them out?

Probably in the last 4-5 days? That's not good is it?

do females axies go off their food before they are about to lay? how do i know if it is a girl? how do i know if it is carrying eggs or not? i have put her/him/it in the fridge, should i take them out?

No, wait until someone more knowledgable posts mate.

I've never noticed mine go off their food before they lay, to me (I'm no expert) he - look like one of my "she's" before they lay.

How old is your Axolotl? This will help you sex your Axolotl: http://www.axolotl.org/biology.htm

I should probably mention that I had 2 other axies in the last 2 months that have become swollen in the head and body and have gone off their food and died. I have no idea why they died as my tank was clean as, water parameters were all fine, maybe the ammonia level was a little elevated but nothing life threatening.... The 2 previous axies were a lot younger than Blackie...

Blackie would probably have to be almost 3 years old now. I got him when he was about a year old.....

i should probably mention that i had 2 other axies in the last 2 months that have become swollen in the head and body and have gone off their food and died. i have no idea why they died as my tank was clean as, water parametres were all fine, maybe the ammonia level was a little elevated but nothing life threatening.... The 2 previous axies were a lot younger than blackie...

Doesn't sound good mate. If your tank set-up/water is OK - could be diet.
I didn't notice the head swelling in your photo. Is there gravel in your tank?

Yes, I have more what you would call rocks in the tank. They are large. Probably some of them are the size of Blackie's head. So there is no way that they can swallow them....

The head swelling isn't as bad as the other 2 younger ones... it's probably on the underside that I can see swelling. Could just be pressure from the stomach area making the neck/head area look bloated too....

I will look into changing the diet for them asap.... I have bought some pellets from the pet shop, actually bought them 2 days ago as I was going to attempt feeding them again... I did start off feeding my axies pellets but I found it really difficult to do! I was trying to drop the pellet right on top of their nose so they would have a chomp at it. Most of the time they would miss them and I would get annoyed because I had to fish them out again! argh. Is there a better way to feed axies pellets?

I suspect if you are only feeding your axolotl beef heart and liver, this may be part of the problem. A quote from Rayson
'' Livers contain enzymes and concentrated amount of vitamin A. Prolonged excessive feeding of livers can result in malnutrition (due to enzymes breaking down some nutrients) and also vitamin A poisoning. Excess consumption of vitamin A is toxic and can cause liver problems, neurological problems and even death''
Ideally, earthworms are best for your axolotl.

Get yourself some forceps or tongs or similar to hold the pellets then you can put them right in front of the axies face and get him to snatch them up easy. What did you do when feeding the heart and liver - just drop pieces in the tank?

Hi ReneeS,

have a look here http://www.caudata.org/axolotl-sanctuary/index.shtml Rayson is an Australian vet and has compiled a list of herpvets in Australia.

I would suggest the dietry changes that others have recomended and fridging in the interim. I also think that Blackie may be a she.

Hi ReeneeS,

From the top view photo, i would say its likely the axie is a female swollen with eggs. Can you take a photo of the cloacal region?

The underside of the jaw seems a bit puffy which is not too good, it could be the onset of bloat. To be on the safe side, fridge your axie and then switch the diet to a good staple of earthworms, blackworms or pellets. The beef and liver diet is not suitable. As Julia mentioned, liver in particularly causes a lot of problems if fed over a prolonged period.

Cheerrs.

Here are some photos of the underside of Blackie....

If it isn't pregnant what can I do to make it better? I haven't been able to get it eat the last 2 times that I have feed my other axies....

Where in New South Wales can you buy the appropriate foods?

I really don't want Blackie to die :-(

Attachments

• pic 5.JPG
    pic 5.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 284
  • pic 6.JPG
    pic 6.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 256
When I was feeding them beef heart and chicken liver I put it on the end of a metal skewer... but it's a bit hard to do pellets as they are a lot smaller.... :-(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back