Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

limb regrowth

MinustheJimmy

Reaction score
I got a male axolotl in january, his front legs were bitten off prior to his arrival. He seems to be growing just fine but his legs are yet to grow back. He has a nub and a leg with one creeper finger. Is it just a much longer process than I anticipated? or are his legs gone for good?

IanF

Reaction score
Re: hmmmm....

It can take a very long time, and there is no garuntee they'll even grow back fully. They may just remain stumps. So I wouldn't worry about it as long as he's eating and healthy.
He's in by himself right?

pete

Reaction score
Re: hmmmm....

Yes several factors can influence the regeneration process. Age of the animal is one of these factors which can influence the speed and accuracy of regeneration. Also the type/shape of the wound can influence how well a body part regenerates. The regeneration process is pretty good, but not a perfect process. Often you end up with a limb that has a few extra or few less toes. I would just say be patient and don't worry too much if he's eating.

MinustheJimmy

Reaction score
He is right around a year old. He has been by himself since January when i got him. i havent really seen too much progress in the time i had him. He is a greedy little b@5#@rd and eats 5 to 6 worms a week. I get medium sized worms. His body is almost as wide as his head (not quite (and at the widest point)). Overall he is happy and no health problems so far. I would really like to see him regrow those limbs:D. thanks for the help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1