Illness/Sickness: Is This Axolotl SICK ???

luen04

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I bought some feeder guppies so he can eat fresh food, and usually those little guppies don't attack axolotls but there was one gangster guppy who started to eat his gills! So I removed the bad guppy.
The thing is that when I was removing the bad guppy I noticed that they all had fungus, ick and some of them even had intestinal disease!
So I removed them all.
I had to clean up alll my 30 G Tank!

So the gills of my axolotl started to grow again but they have little weird circles around them!
Is he sick ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If its not sick which it probably is, its still a very damaged axolotl. You should put up better photos of the gills. Maybe then we can determine if the axolotl has fungus or not. If it does have fungus then its going to need a salt bath. Here are some words of caution......NO FISH WITH AXOLOTLS!! Axolotls should only be kept with other axolotls.

Please post in the right section next time. This has been moved.

I bought some Feeder Guppies so he can eat fresh food , and usually thoses little guppies dont attack axolotls but there was one gangster guppy who started to eat his gills !! so i removed the bad guppy.
The thing is that when i was removing the bad guppy i noticed that they all had fungus, ick and some of the even had intestinal disease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
so i removed them all
i had to clean up alll my 30 G Tank !

So the gills of my axolotl started to grow again but the have little weird circles around them !
is he sick ?

By the way he eats normally

Hard to tell from the pics, but I think what your seeing is just the new growth of the gills. To me your axie looks thin and not very healthy, what are you feeding it? It needs more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi luen04,

I agree with slimer a healthy size for an axolotl is its body as wide as its head, also it is important to quarantine any additions to the tank for 30 days this helps prevent what you are now experiencing. Feeder fish are not a staple diet for an axolotl. Do you have access to earthworms and pellets. I do not see any signs of Fungus and the gill damage will repair with time. I would however feed your axoltl up to try and gain some body condition.

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back