Paramesotriton sp. temp

katebutton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
kate
Hello all,
I went to the pet store today to buy some feeder mice and saw two of these guys in a 10 gallon tank with about 15 fire belly toads (no surprise). They are extremely emaciated and when I told the manager how disappointed I was and that I was considering suspending my business there he said "You can have them for free, but they won't eat. I'm tired of sitting around waiting for them to die so I can have the tank space back." I did take them, and I won't be returning to that shop. As soon as I got home I stuck them in a large critter keeper half way full of water and stuck some cork bark in incase they want out- I plan on starting their post-quarantine tank tomorrow. I chopped up some earthworm and they immediately started eating. This gives me hope- I was worried that it might be too late for them. Anyway, I've been doing a lot of searching on caudata in the past few hours and I think from what I've seen they're chinensis. What would be the correct temp to keep the water? I haven't been able to find anything about temp except breeding temps. Thanks for any help, and wish me luck! I sincerely hope that being underfed is their only problem.

AW: Paramesotriton sp. temp

good morning,

the best temperature for them will be around 18-20°C. Preferably cooler than warmer.
Give them the choice of water and terrestrial place with some hiding places.
Good for them to acclimate is also when you keep them in silence without any manipulation.

Paramesotriton are in general robust and the chance that they survive is good.

greetings Ingo V.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back