Question: axies and others!!

tashaharris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay I know in my other post I said I was going to buy a book, but it's like 11.42pm and I'm unable to get to a shop.. lol

Just wanted to know if axies are social or not, what other type of fish could I put in with her she seems lonely!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Axies are solitary animals - they don't get lonely. If you put them in with fish, they'll either eat the fish, try to eat the fish and get them stuck, or get their gills and legs nibbled off by the fish.

I'd advise that you read through this site http://www.axolotl.org/index.htm and have a gander at some of the threads on the forum.

Zoe x

Generally speaking, fish and axies do not mix.
Like Zoe said, someone will be attacking someone else...

If you really want to put fish in there, Guppies are a good choice because they will not attack the Axolotl, the same cannot be said for the reverse however, you'll probably find the guppy population mysteriously declining over time.

The other very important thing to note is quarantine. If you buy anything to add to your tank you absolutely must quarantine it first - pet shop fish often carry all sorts of nasties that can harm or kill your Axolotl.

Hi Tasha have alook at this

Fish and Newts/Axolotls I think it will help you also have look at caudat culture species mixing disasters it may assist

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back