Burrowing

Jonny Doum

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have only had my fire salamander for about 2 months now. He is doing well and has grown a lot. I had never seen him burrow. He spent most all of his time under one particular hide.

In the last couple of days, he switched hides and now seems to prefer burrowing. The set up of the tank has not changed, his diet is pretty varied between crickets, earth worms, wax worms on occasion. The summer temps have been coming, but he is in an air conditioned room, and when it is cool enough outside, i open the windows and put a cool pack on top of the enclosure. He is typically anywhere between 63 and 68 degrees F.

Is this burrowing just normal behavior that I haven't witnessed yet, or could this be a sign of something wrong with the husbandry?

Humidity and soil moisture is where it needs to be.

I think it´s just normal natural behaviour. In the wild they favour hiding under logs and rocks, which requires some diging. It may also mean that the substrate is not as moist as it should be and it´s actively seeking a better spot.
I wouldn´t worry...

I think it´s just normal natural behaviour. In the wild they favour hiding under logs and rocks, which requires some diging. It may also mean that the substrate is not as moist as it should be and it´s actively seeking a better spot.
I wouldn´t worry...

Thank you for the information. I'd say he's just acting normally and I am over reacting (as usual). The soil is certainly moist enough and I was actually worried that it should be a little bit dryer. I think it is where it needs to be though. Hes a quirky one

Thank you for the information. I'd say he's just acting normally and I am over reacting (as usual). The soil is certainly moist enough and I was actually worried that it should be a little bit dryer. I think it is where it needs to be though. Hes a quirky one

The thing to remember is to try to provide a variety of moisture levels and let him choose at any given time. Keep in mind that this can be vertical as well as horizontal.

Thanks Steve,

The substrate is higher on one side than it is one the other side and the tank is at a very slight slope to make a wetter and dryer side. He's burrowed just under the surface of the dryer side right now

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back