Greetings

g1g5

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Display Name
G1G5
Greetings.

My name is Kit, a Thai national from Phatumthani province.

I have some experience keeping "exotic" captives. I maintain a number of aquatic reptiles including members of less common species such as a MataMata (Chelus fimbriatus) and several Snake Necked Turtle (Chelodina longicollis). I also maintained a Pirarucu (Arapaima gigas) in the family pond, where it continues to merrily gorge its way through the local piscene population.

I have recently graduated, and am presently studying as a phD student. Therefore I will be spending less time in Thailand, and more in the UK. As such I am looking for a pet I could maintain without an extensive support infrastructure. Amphibians seem like an ideal solution, since they could be maintained with relatively little hassle (pelleted foods, heat retaining water) compared to the reptile.

I have since set up an aquatic system based on a 54l tank. I am still deciding which aquatic amphibian to buy.

Hi Kit and Welcome to the site, Best of luck finding the right amphibian and good luck with your studies

Hi Kit, Welcome!

Get one of these! I am, of course, totally biased and should not be listened to at all... ;)

6.jpg

First let me congratulate you. That is one cute Axolotl.

I agree, Axolotls does seem to be the ideal caudate for my situation.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back