Empty Tank Syndrome Help

Bunnygirl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
I have an empty 10 gallon tank and can't stand the sight of an empty tank. I am thinking fire sal or axolot. The only thing is the tank will be near my cousin who is two years old. It will be in the living room whch has someone in there all day long, and there is at least one child ranging from 6 months to two years in the room everyday. I want something that can handle fingers on the glass occasionally and not get to stressed
Thanks!

Do you prefer maintaining aquatic or terrestrial habitats, Bunny? Keeping an axolotl in a 10-gallon tank requires real diligence with water changes. Unless you really prefer aquatic, I think a tiger sal would be somewhat easier. On the other hand, the axolotl would always be visible, unlike the tiger which may hide a lot.

Does your empty tank include a filter? A lid? Or just the tank?

I prefer terrestrial tanks, but have never had an axolot I currently have a tiger sal in a 20L. I was also thinking fire sal, it their care pretty similar? I tank has a lib, but no filiter, which I could easily just buy.

Salamandra salamandra make great captives when healthy, but they need cool temps. If you can´t garantee 20ºC or less you might have problems. This applies to most caudates, but fire sals are specially sensitive.
You could probably have a single Pleurodeles waltl in a 10gallon tank...depending on the animal´s size.

Care for tiger and fire sals is basically the same. Fire sals are a smaller, on average, so their foods need to be smaller. They do need cool temperatures, but I think they can tolerate somewhat warmer than 20C (70F). I had 3 healthy fire sals in a room that went up to 78F in daytime in summer, and they did fine. I made an effort to bring down their temp during nighttime hours, by opening windows and/or putting frozen bottles in the tank. And they were kept in the 60sF in winter.

The thing to watch for with Salamandra is that many (perhaps most) of them being sold are wild-caught. Try to buy captive-bred juveniles. (If someone is claiming to sell captive-bred adults, they are almost certainly not telling the truth.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back